What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Tubes...

s10sakota

Well Known Member
One of the things I forgot to look for at Oshkosh was pitot tubes. Since I am working on the wings, should I start planning this now?

Does the stock bent tube called for in the plans make for a sufficient tube? Do I need to make the decision NOW if I'm going to fly this airplane IFR and go with a 'real' heated pitot tube from the start?

What do most people end up doing as far as a pitot tube? Cessna type? Cheapo bent tube?

Installing a pitot tube isn't that big of a deal for a retrofit, but with that said I would recommend putting in a heated pitot up front.

There are a variety of options depending on your panel choices.

The Dynon has an AOA built in if you are going with Dynon EFIS.

Gretz uses less current with its automated temperature control.

ACS has some from several other vendors. You can also get an used Cessna or Piper pitot.

Mast only?

Is it possible to install the pitot mast only, and wait to buy a specific heated pitot? Or, does each specific heated pitot use a different mast?

If you are going to put in a heated pitot, you will probably want a doubler to support the extra weight, and this is a lot easier to put in before you finish the skins than after. if you REALLY think that you are going to build/use the machine for IFR, then a heated pitot is not a bad idea - although some fly without them, and under the correct weather restrictions, I would as well. A lot depends on where you do most of your flying.

I personally have found that a used Piper Pitot can be found at airplane salvage yards pretty cheap, and you can replace the heating elements for less than $200. These don't need a mast, and all you need to do is build a doubler. Far more expensive than the bent tube of Van's, but cheaper than the new heated pitot options.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are VFR, the standard pitot works great and nothing else is needed.

If you require AOA, you can simply add another tube behind the original and bend the forward edge down 60?.

Or you can purchase the high dollar items.

Pitot

I am planning IFR and had assumed a heated pitot. Then I was reminded that you get ground speed from a GPS even if you loose Pitot.
I fly hard IFR but have never seen ice and don't plan on it.
However there is always that possibility and I will have GPS speed.
I like keeping things light and simple.

I am planning IFR and had assumed a heated pitot. Then I was reminded that you get ground speed from a GPS even if you loose Pitot.
I fly hard IFR but have never seen ice and don't plan on it.
However there is always that possibility and I will have GPS speed.
I like keeping things light and simple.

But there's no such thing as GPS-based AOA... :) If your system will have AOA, that is.

If you're not going with IFR (at least at first) but you want a really nice pitot, this guy makes a beautiful piece of equipment that doesn't cost a fortune. Here's a link and a picture. I bought this and I'm really happy with it. The kit comes with a doubler plate. All the details are in my web log.

Evans Aviation Pitot Tube

100_5043%20(Small).JPG

If I decide later to go full IRF, he says he plans to have a heated pitot that could be easily installed in place of this one.

Last edited:
Back