What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pitot tube sealer in the fuse

bhassel

Well Known Member
I thought I had better get the answer from the experts...

I'm using DAP to seal the tube to the pitot rivets and the t's. Anyone see a problem with that? The pitot plans call for RTV, but that's not as kind to painting.

The sealer is on the inside of the fuse of course, but I seem to recall there being concern about even getting rtv fumes close to a surface that will be painted.

I was planning on using DAP as a buffer between the 1/4 " hose (from the t) and the j channel, so the pitot tube doesn't wear through from vibration on the j channel, plus a few drops to hold it in the j channel. Any better ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Consider sensor safe RTV

Bob- Not sure about the painting issue you are asking about, but some RTV's do react with aluminum. It is my understanding that if the RTV sealant says it is “sensor safe”, you are using a non-corrosive form of sealant … have not heard anything to the contrary.

I purchased my RTV at an automotive supply store. If you opt for a RTV product, I would suggest you use RTV that is safe for aluminum such as Permatex blue ... it states on the tube it is sensor safe. Some RTV’s use what I believe is acetic acid as part of the curing process ... kind of has a heavy vinegar smell. The acid can contribute to corrosion.

EDIT ADD: If paint is a concern, the Pro-Seal equivalent Van’s sells comes in small quantities … would think it should secure the components nicely and be paint friendly. Unused product can be placed in a freezer to extend usable life ... awhile.

Last edited:
Back