What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot tube conversion

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
When I started building the 7A, I just stuck the plans-type pitot tube on there, now I realize I want to incorporate AOA into the Dynon D-100. How difficult is it to install, say, the Gretz mounting bracket on a completed plane?

There is some structure that must be adapted to the wing rib that might make it somewhat difficult to install after wing closure.... I installed my Gretz pitot tube prior to wing closure though. Perhaps someone who's actually done a post wing closure install can give you more specific advice.

Mounting the Gretz pitot mast in a completed wing is going to require some deconstructing. I think the easiest way might be to create an inspection panel where the mast is mounted. Otherwise you are looking at drilling out enough rivets to peel back a large section of the lower skin.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I did what Mel suggested in a long-ago thread and made my own. Simple to do, just need two tubes in parallel, with the bottom tube having a 45-degree angle cut on it (the exact angle is not critical, as you will calibrate it in the air - at least that's how the Dynon works). I made a custom mount and actually mounted it on the inspection plate so it is easy to access. And the price was right - $0 except for some scrap aluminum.

Greg

Shouldn't Have To Open The Skin

I installed a heated pitot after the plane was built. There is a doubler plate in the Gretz kit that has a "joggle" on the front end to allow it to fit over the spar flange. I drilled out the rivets (4, I think) in that location, fitted the doubler inside the wing, and marked the drill locations thru the holes. IIRC, I also attached an angle to the doubler to allow attachment to the wing rib. Lots of fitting and checking before riveting with Cherry Max. Pitot is very rigid with this setup. On the other hand, my brother attached a heated pitot to the skin only on his RV6 and just used a doubler- no attachment to the rib or flange. So far, it seems to be OK.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Can anyone verify that the ACS 10-01820 PBK-12 PAINTABLE GRETZ BRACKET is the correct mast for this installation?

In early March, I helped my friend do this on the Montana RV-4 project. PIECE of CAKE, took maybe 1.5hrs in a RV-4 wing, which is much tighter than than the RV-7 wing. Avery pitot had great instructions for the retro fit.

Avery pitot

Avery/Safeair

Bob,

I'm in the same position, and just started the install of the SafeAir/Avery mount last night (layout and thinking only). It requires the drilling out of only three 3/32 rivets and is accessible through the outboard-most access panel where the aileron bell crank is. My wings are complete but still in a cradle.

When I started building the 7A, I just stuck the plans-type pitot tube on there, now I realize I want to incorporate AOA into the Dynon D-100. How difficult is it to install, say, the Gretz mounting bracket on a completed plane?

Bob - Bryan F. just did this about two weeks on his -9A. He had a great idea about mounting it slightly further outboard.

Also, as Greg suggested, search the archives for Mel's clever adaptation of a second piece of al tubing to act as the AOA port. That might be the simplest installation of all and would provide the AOA you seek.

Back