What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot-Static piping behind panel

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow, but we are now stocking some REALLY nifty pitot/static plumbing components. Those who've been by the shop know what I'm talking about. There are simply push in fittings that are releaseable.

Best part....we have a neat little 5 port manifold. You simply run the pitot or static line into it, then just run a line to each of your instruments. We also have an assortment of straight, 90 degree, "t" and so on fittings. Not super cheap, but by far the BEST we've found. A few pics below. I'll try to get them on the website asap for those interested.

You can see pics at:

http://www.steinair.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?search=action&category=PITO&keywords=all

But - PLEASE do NOT attempt to order anything there. It's the new webstore we're working on and orders will NOT go through. It's still in development!

Cheers,
Stein

Stein

:p And this is why we love Stein. Can't wait to get my Dynon now and get it and the ASI and ALT plumbed. I was wondering how I was going to do it. Now I know!

Way to go Stein~

I found the Pushtolok or Micolok connectors on the internet, but could not find an outlet. These are exactly what I was looking for. Especially the Y connector.

Thanks for scoping these out. I will be placing an order as soon as they are available.

Thanks!

I ripped out most of the Nyloseal tubing I had behind the panel and replaced it with Tygon.

If the stuff from Stein was available a few months ago, I probably would have gone with that.

We have plenty of them in stock and ready for sale, my cheap/lazy webmaster just hasn't yet had the time to get the new website finished yet. For now, you can call (NOT on Monday please) or email and we'll get ya'll taken care of. Bought several grand worth of these little buggers because we liked 'em so much. Every panel that leaves our shop now has those types attached. Makes plumbing pitot static an affair of minutes instead of hours/days. For years I've really not wanted to stock any sort of pitot/static fittings because I hadn't used anything other than what everyone else has done...same old stuff...same old mess of "t's", same leaks, etc.. These things are so simple it's almost laughable. The downside is cost, but then again the time and ease factor more than make up for it. You can pull an instrument/efis/autopilot or anything else with pitot/static connections without ever getting a wrench!

One of my favorites is the little "banjo" fitting. You simply use a wrench or socket to screw it into the instrument, then the fitting itself still swivels to point whichever direction you want. No more trying to get one elbow screwed in past the other (because you rarely can get two fill size elbows on an instrument). Plus, they are super low profile. Low enough that you can stick them on the back of a little Dynon and not have to cut holes in the sub panel anymore! Wish I had these way back when......

Cheers,
Stein

Those fittings are pneumatic fittings. They look like the fittings from FESTO products. Do a web search. I used them in my plane . Worked good for me and dirt cheap.
Any pneumatic supplier will sell you similar. I do know that the Festo stuff is the rolls royce of pneumatics.

straight runs - not

Since you mention it, I hope your fuel line installation is not done similarly. :( The image shows elbows and then dead straight runs of tubing between them. It is my understanding that this is not recommended (might say so in AC43-13). The preferred method is for fluid lines to have at least one bend in order ot provide some flexibility. This provided some resistance to stesses built up by relative motion of the end connections (thermal, vibratory, etc).

some pictures

Xmas2007%20001.jpg

There are more pictures on the blog (link below) this used the Stein connectors but I added the service loop to allow the Dynons to be pulled out of the panel.

I just counted up my T connections.

I have 9 behind my panel. I wish that I could have had a couple of those 5 port manifolds when I was doing this work. I may just have to change out.

Would that save me any weight?:D

How does that plastic pipe connect to the green/yellow connector? Does it just slip in or is there a piece that goes on the end of the pipe?

Kent

These are the same fittings that are in the Safe-Air pitot-static kit. The tube just pushes in.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's correct. They are similar, but we tried to get a larger variety of them, and instead of trying to come up with a "kit" (which is almost impossible to get one that fits everyone's needs) - I decided just to sell the individual piece parts. It's easier than trying to modify a kit to each persons needs. Some people have very few connections, but most have a lot more - with the bigger glass panels, air data computers, autopilots, AHRS boxes, engine monitors, etc.. all needing pitot or static it can get messy.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Push to Connect Fittings

These nifty little fittings are push-to-connect air fittings that are used extensively in heavy truck and trailer air brake systems. We are using them on 40,000 trailers a year with great results. I used them on my panel because I got a great deal on them, I recieved free samples from our supplier for "Engineering Evaluation". Unfortunately they did not give me as many options as Stien is offering, a few of which would have made my install nicer.

A couple of comments. 1. Use the right type of plastic tubing for the fitting. If the airline is not the correct OD or a stiff enough material you may have sealing problems. 2. Make sure you cut the ends square and do not crimp.

QUESTION..........

That's correct. They are similar, but we tried to get a larger variety of them, and instead of trying to come up with a "kit" (which is almost impossible to get one that fits everyone's needs) - I decided just to sell the individual piece parts. It's easier than trying to modify a kit to each persons needs. Some people have very few connections, but most have a lot more - with the bigger glass panels, air data computers, autopilots, AHRS boxes, engine monitors, etc.. all needing pitot or static it can get messy.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

STEIN......... What is the smallest ID line to be used?

Thanks.......:)

Any standard 1/4" tubing that is fairly stiff (not soft squishy). Typically nylon or other types of poly tubing (even some copper or aluminum) will work fine. We just ordered and are stocking two different colors of good quality nylong tubing (can be purchased in about any color) for convenience sake. Gets difficult after many years to go back behind a panel and figure out which is pitot and which is static....ask me how I know!

I'd recommend some good 1/4" nylong or similar tubing....like was said before, good tubing and good cuts are important. That's why I bought a bunch of the cheapo little cutters...they do a remarkable job of cutting the tubing perfectly square (better than my scissors does), plus they don't squash the tubing into a deformed oval like using a scissors or knife.

Cheers,
Stein

Pitot-static test access

Stein,

What provision do you make for the pitot static test? Do you dead end to a terminal fitting or???

Bingo! I forgot to mention that part - it's the best part of all. Just leave one port of a manifold, "t", "y", "x" or other fitting filled with a plug...then when you do the pitot / static check or txpdr check - no more suction cups on the outside of the plane, or digging around trying to get a splice into your pitot or static tubing! I just tell our customers to leave one port easily accesible, and the mechanic doing the pitot checks will love you!

Cheers,
Stein

Stien, next question....

How do you make a leak proof connection from the alu tube from the pitot tube to the plastic line?

Kent

SafeAir sells a union connector to go from the Van?s aluminum pitot line to the Safair ? Nylon tubing

systems_135.jpg

Leaky Nylock connector

I have what appear to be the same fittings as you Allen, it came from ACS but having done a pitot static test it leaks like a sieve. Any one got any ideas on how to seal these connectors? They are tight as they will safely go

Steve

RV 7 Finished with niggles and awaiting UK Paperwork

I have what appear to be the same fittings as you Allen, it came from ACS but having done a pitot static test it leaks like a sieve. Any one got any ideas on how to seal these connectors? They are tight as they will safely go

Steve

RV 7 Finished with niggles and awaiting UK Paperwork

One thing I have found it that you need to pull the little flange (at the end of the fitting) out a bit. In the above photo, it is gray, in Stein's link, they are blue or chartreuse. (WOW, the spell checker knew that one)
This is also what you need to push in, to release the tube.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
They work great

I do industrial process controls for a living, and we use these in control panels for pneumatic control.

I also bought a piping system for my compressor that uses these type of fittings.
2580247729_8e740a4a11_m.jpg

I wasn't really planning on bringing any to OSH, but if you want some, let me know and we can arrange for me to bring them for you. We have a lot of people who order stuff ahead of time and then pick it up from us at OSH (especially the international people), but we really don't like actually selling things at OSH - mainly due to ridiculous EAA rules as well as the Wisconsin Department of Revenue. Did that one year and I'm not likely to do it again.

So now, it's "more is less" for us at OSH. Just there to show off a few EFISes and mainly to talk to past, current and future customers!

Cheers,
Stein

Back