What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot routing

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
There are no plans -- at least that I can see -- for how the pitot line should run from the wings up to the instrument panel. I'd like to see some ideas for this from intrepid RV-7A builders. I have a trim cable filling one spar hole and some electrical cables filling another. Perhaps I should enter the fuselage forward of the main spar.

Guidance, please.

Static line

Bob, Rivethead is right when he says routing is vague, so this is what I did with my static line from the rear fuse. The AOA lines will fit through one of the 5/8" predrilled holes in the wing spar.
Notice the spar doubler I've installed. I think that if I installed these higher, above the longeron, I wouldn't have installed a doubler. My Antentea is mounted forward of the wing spar.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HqpQWbsbokkPFW8KmwYm7A?feat=directlink

I don't see in that picture where the pitot is coming into the fuse.

Sorry Bob for not being clearer; I freed up some some space for my pitot tube/AOA tubes by routing my static line just below the longeron as you can see in the pic.
My AOA and pitot tubes will enter the fuse behind the wing spar and fit through one of the 5/8" center spar/wing spar holes. Then inboard,
to the center tunnel then forward to the firewall. Finally exiting up behind the panel.

I added an additional hole in the spar with Vans Blessings. They told me where to put it and where not to put it.
24bot9l.jpg

2vt8u9c.jpg

There are no plans -- at least that I can see -- for how the pitot line should run from the wings up to the instrument panel....Perhaps I should enter the fuselage forward of the main spar...
Entering the fuselage forward of the main spar is exactly what I did and the pitot line travels straight up, terminating behind the instrument panel. This is a -6A but I would think similar routing would work on the -7 series.

b4d9nq.jpg

I punched another hole in the carry thru spar box. Several times Van's has blessed this operation (within reason) but you can double check with them again for confidence.

External view?

Entering the fuselage forward of the main spar is exactly what I did and the pitot line travels straight up, terminating behind the instrument panel. This is a -6A but I would think similar routing would work on the -7 series.

Rick,
It would be interesting to see how you managed to route this pitot line from aft to forward of the spar on the outside. did you use any existing hole in the wing spar?
Thanks

.....be interesting to see how you managed to route this pitot line from aft to forward of the spar on the outside. did you use any existing hole in the wing spar?...
Its been so long ago, I really do not recall exactly how I actually routed the pitot line to the area forward the main spar before making the fuselage penetration. At the time, my thoughts were doing it that way would require less overall length and be easier to route the pitot line to its ultimate destination behind the instrument panel without snaking the line through the cockpit but now as I try to recall the specific details, it draws a mental blank. That is why I am a fan of digital cameras to document assembly work. Back then I did not have a digital camera. If I did, this response would almost surely include a detail photo! :)

I plan to use the hole in the main spar carry through located along the inboard edge of the F-704C(D) center section verticals. It is shown on Dwg. 11, zones D4 and F4, labeled as 'ELECTRICAL WIRE ROUTING'. I added an extra hole in the F-738B Cover Support Rib to get it into the tunnel and will route it forward to the FW through there. It appears to be the same hole that the clear tubing is routed through in post #7.

Dave

Rick... in the -6...

Its been so long ago, I really do not recall exactly how I actually routed the pitot line to the area forward the main spar before making the fuselage penetration. At the time, my thoughts were doing it that way would require less overall length and be easier to route the pitot line to its ultimate destination behind the instrument panel without snaking the line through the cockpit but now as I try to recall the specific details, it draws a mental blank. That is why I am a fan of digital cameras to document assembly work. Back then I did not have a digital camera. If I did, this response would almost surely include a detail photo! :)

...the plans show a hard line routed behind the wing tank after passing through a hole (shown on the plans) in the spar half way down the wing near the pitot location.

Since the newer model tanks have Z-brackets that the -6 and the -4 do not have, I'm not sure if this routing would work.

Bob I do not remember the dos and donts details. It had to do with edge distance on the spar.

I do know I used a hole punch.

Back