What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot probes

Been running with the original stock pitot tube for 17 years. Works great!
Recently modified it to use the AOA function of the Dynon. Mod cost me $4.

My 6A has a heated pitot/static that is super expensive these days. When I bought mine 12 years ago, they were super cheap by comparison. It works extremely well, though. I just thought it looked cool (is chromed), and was much tougher in appearance than the Van's method.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Whats everyones experience/opinion on original vs. aftermarket pitot tubes. Accuracy/ heated etc.
Don't worry about the accuracy. The laws of physics are working in our favour with pitot tubes, so Van's simple piece of tubing and a more expensive pitot tube will both be equally, perfectly accurate, assuming they are mounted clear of the prop wash, not in the wake of something else, etc. Any errors you have in your airspeed system will certainly be due to leaks in the pitot or static lines, or ASI instrument error, or static system position error.

How's that accomplished Mel?
Larry

I just formed another piece of 1/4" tubing to nest behind the original with the forward tip bent down 60 degrees and JB Welded them together. Works great.

Mel,

Is that bent 60 degrees down from horizontal? My presumption has always been that the exact angle is not critical as long as one calibrates the system. Is that correct?

thanks,
greg

Mel,
Is that bent 60 degrees down from horizontal? My presumption has always been that the exact angle is not critical as long as one calibrates the system. Is that correct?
thanks,
greg

That is indeed 60 degrees down from horizontal. Probably not too critical. I just measured the ports on a Dynon pitot and duplicated that.

I just formed another piece of 1/4" tubing to nest behind the original with the forward tip bent down 60 degrees and JB Welded them together. Works great.

So Mel, How did you run the extra line to the pitot tube behind the fuel tank and fasten it along the way? How is the connection to the 1/4" alum tube from the plastic tube?

Thanks, I did not want to add the extra probe that came with my AOA system and I think this will work just fine.....

I don't do photos on the forum. Send me your e-mail and I'll send you picture.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>

So Mel, How did you run the extra line to the pitot tube behind the fuel tank and fasten it along the way? How is the connection to the 1/4" alum tube from the plastic tube?
Thanks, I did not want to add the extra probe that came with my AOA system and I think this will work just fine.....

I ran 1/4" aluminum tubing along the spar behind the tank parallel to the pitot line. I used "slip fit" plastic tubing for the connections with a healthy overlap. I sent a picture of the AOA/pitot to Stone. Maybe he will post it.

Mel's Photo

Here it is. Thanks Mel!

IMG_3483.jpg

Back