What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot mounting

Jeff R

Well Known Member
Does anyone see any problem with the way I am connecting the pitot/AOA tubing from the probe to the plastic tubing? I have never seen others bend the tubing from the pitot and make the connection in a rib quite like this. It didn't occur to me until after I made a single 90-degree bend in the aluminum tubing and became concerned with the connectors flopping around with no support. I noted that I could fit the connectors through the ribs as shown, though I had to hand bend the tubes.

pitot mounting.jpg

I think it ought to work out pretty good, but I wanted to get a consensus before I torque things down. Note: I would be planning on using a thin nut or something to hold the connectors tight against the rib.

Thanks.

Last edited:
My only concern would be if you wanted / needed to remove the pitot head (not the mast) for service or replacement. With your installation you would have to disconnect and unbend a fairly sharp 90 degree bend in the aluminum tubing to pull them out through the mast. I (and I think a lot of other builders) cut the aluminum tubing fairly short and attach the plastic tubing unions directly on the end of the aluminum tubes. You can put a mild bend in the aluminum tubing but keep in mind it will have to be straightened if you need to remove the head. I think this is the method SafeAir1 also recommends.

I agree with the above - you will have a hard time if ever needing to replace/service. I'm installing with a pseudo-service loop of the plastic tubing in the same bay so I can pull the pitot down enough so that the plastic tube to alum connector clears the mast.

Back