What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitfalls of purchasing a partially completed kit

corbinace

Greetings,

My first objective is to fly rather than the desire to build, but being a mechanic means that I have more time and talent than money. Purchasing a 180K finished airplane is not in the cards.

If I really analyze my desires and tendencies, I would have to say I am not a good candidate to start an aircraft from a pile of parts and expect it to be a finished product any time soon or maybe ever. I can think of lots of negative adjectives to describe my motivation level but at least I am honest about my abilities.

That said, I do feel I have the sticktoitivness to get one finished if it were closer to the end.

Is it reasonable think I could to get into a kit that is partially done without getting an airframe that is full of insurmountable deficiencies in the build?

I see them occasionally for sale and they seem to be a fair trade for parts and labor, but I wonder, why were they not just completed and flown if they were OK. There are plenty of people who build for the love of it.

Here is an example that seems to be a reasonably fair trade but it has been for sale for over a month in metropolitan area:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VANS...503099?pt=Motors_Aircraft&hash=item3a7f29197b

Any insight on why it still sits unsold and unflown? Something in this area of completeness seem within my reach to finish and fly.

By purchasing this or any other partially built ship am I buying a headache or do I really get to trade dollars for airworthy workmanship?

Some of the answers I think I know but I am looking for validation from the collective.

Thanks, Tim.

Another 10 FS

There is nothing wrong with buying a kit in progress. Both of mine were. Like any aircraft, you need an independent Pre Buy though. It is also nice to know the history of the builder.

Check with Chris Sands. He goes by Float208 on the Forums. He has a gorgeous RV10 with air conditioning, engine and I believe prop that is completed to the point of avionics that he is selling. Lots of extras with this plane.

If you don't know Chris, he is probably one of the most meticulous builders in the US. His fit and finish is a work of art.

I think he wants around $100K for it. For what is there and the completion of work, this is a steal. If I wasn't about 3/4 way through another 7, I'd own this one.

The only two reasons to build an RV rather than to purchase one already flying is for the pleasure of building it yourself ( if you like that sort of thing) and to know what you have when finished. Now unless you're a maticulas builder , providing you have a very good pre-buy you'll probably get as good quality buying a flying RV.
The market is way down for flying RV and they are selling for the sum of the parts as you indicated. From your post it sounds like you needed the partially built kit in order to have the drive to complete the aircraft. This doesn't sound like someone that wants to build an RV. Myself , we (four)built an RV-10 , completing it in 2010. Last year one partner decided he wanted out and for long story reasons a buy out wasn't in the cards. I'm now 3/4 the way building the wings for MY RV-14 . Did I say MY. I enjoy the build process and have no quams getting started, where as a friend to which I'm helping finish his Zenair 701 said "where do you get the courage". There is no was in h###, I would start another project.
So my point, if you have time to shop arround for the aircraft you want, I doubt you can save any amount of cash building it yourself. This is just my opinion. I have a potential buyer for our RV-10 flying accross the country and I know his offer, basically the sum of all parts. And a lot of parts (options/ accessories) were made from raw materials, so they did not cost much but time that I won't get paid for.

Thanks Darwin and Ron for the vote of confidence on finding a partially completed project adequate.

Ron, you have properly identified my sentiments. I would only build in order to trade my talents for equity. If that is not realistic, then I will do as you say and bide my time until the right deal comes along. Although, I have not seen very many craft below the 180K asking range, so maybe I am only dreaming, as that is beyond my financial ability.

I will contact Chris and see what he has and try to calculate the time and $ to complete and do some comparisons.

Thanks again gentlemen, for taking the time to respond.

Yes, this is a good option

Tim:

Bottom Line Up Front - yes, this can be a good alternative if you determine your mission first - do you need, or want, 4 seats? Will 2 seats, or even 1, meet most of your needs? Determine if IFR capabilities, steam or a glass panel, etc. are must have, nice to have, or moot. The mission will also help you decide more quickly if a kit, or a finished airplane, meets your needs.

... My first objective is to fly rather than the desire to build ...
I am not a good candidate to start an aircraft from a pile of parts and expect it to be a finished product any time soon or maybe ever...
I do feel I have the sticktoitivness to get one finished if it were closer to the end.

Given the above, this can work for you. I personally know of (2) 9A's, a -12, and a -7A that took this approach, and I have/will fly in any of them.

Positives:
You can reduce dollar and time costs (there's no "save" in flying!)

You can keep motivation up by seeing "airplane-ish" assemblies, vice staring at stacks of boxes or unrecognizable aluminum.

You can avoid learning-curve mistakes, and cosmetic blemishes that may annoy you over time.

You can get a very well-built project, with superior results, beyond your current abilities or experience.

Negatives:
You may not already have the aluminum forming, fastening, and finishing tools and experience required, as one example, required to complete the build.

You may need to rent, borrow, or buy tools, expert advice, and the occasional replacement part.

You may not buy a complete project, or it may take time to know what you have and don't have.
My flying airplane still has unattached parts in the house, the garage, at work, on order, and in the hangar. If you bought from me, for example, it would take me some time to be sure I gave you "all the parts." If you buy a 2nd or 3rd hand kit, or from an estate, the passdown problem increases.

Age of parts.
I'm repairing the pitot and static lines in my 10+ year old project. In this example, age had an effect.

Inheriting choices.
The original builder chose plastic tubing, with aging effects (above) that I inherited.

Summary:
I'm happy about the overall results - I have a strong engine, a straight airplane, and it's safe to fly - faster, and at less cost than I could have built from the start. Your mileage wil vary.

I'm off to the airport to replace said pitot and static lines; shoot me an email if you want any more(!) input.

I think ESCO hit many nails solidly on the head. While our current project isn't an RV, it has suffered from some of the negatives ESCO outlined and has also brought most of the benefits, too.

The one item not covered is that buying a partially-built project means you are inheriting the design of the day. Some kits have languished unfinished for years. As a result that project you're looking at buying may not encompass the benefits of the most recent design changes. You need to be on your toes to know which parts of the project will need to be updated to current design for safety or other operational reasons. In our case the only real safety mod was an improvement to the seat belt attachment points that set me back $350 for the update kit(again, not an RV so not applicable to your search).

Back