What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitch Servo Installation

Rick6a

Well Known Member
Anyone care to share some detail photos of a TruTrack pitch servo installation in an 8? From my (rather terse) instruction materials, it appears you have to cut away the existing elevator bellcrank structure (as shown in the first photo) to accept the 3/4"x3/4" material supplied by TruTrack for the bellcrank attachment. The second photo illustrates the materials supplied by TruTrack. I'd like to see how others have dealt with this.

fuselageassembly10315ei4.jpg
fuselageassembly10215hs2.jpg

Hi Rick,

The photo on the right is exactly the assembly I retrofitted into my QB -8 to install my TT servo. The photo on the left is a bit of a mystery to me.....on my airplane, the bellcrank mounts where two pieces of angle rivetted to the floor stringers from the top. I just drilled those five rivets out on each side and replaced the angles with the TT angles, and I was done. I don't see those rivets in yours - it looks like the bellcrank mounts are different. This is how mine looked originally:

p2090005co6.jpg

The new angles from TT simply extend the mount aft of the bulkhead.

At least you aren't trying to retrofit after the plane was finished - I had to take a lot of stuff apart to get access!

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Well your explanation sort of clears that up for me. There are no angles riveted to the baggage floor stringers to accept the bellcrank...it is a one piece part. This appears to be yet another example of the lower parts count and simplified assembly that has evolved with the newer kits. Still...I'll have some engineering work ahead if I am going to get that servo installed correctly. You are totally right about not having to deal with the hassles of a retrofit. I rotate and lock the fuselage assembly at any preferred angle on a homemade "rotisserie" which is nothing more than a $49.99 J.C. Whitney engine repair stand I modified (with Home Depot angle iron) in about 2 hours. Greatly eases access.

Last edited:
Back