What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pireps on Tyco W58 Circuit Breakers wanted

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
Anyone out there have any experience with these CB's? They are about $5.50 from ACS. I know they are not pull-able. From what I have read on this site, most bldrs prefer Klixon breakers ($20/ea) which are pull-able. These W58 breakers are a tad bigger. Can you gang them up on a solid buss bar easily?

Looks like if you needed a few breakers that you wanted to pull, the Tyco W23 breaker can be used, but, it doesn't look like you could gang them on a solid buss bar along with the W58's because the connection layout differs on the back of the breaker.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/pbcircuitbrkr.php

What is the mindset out there? Klixon or Tyco W 58's?

Jim

Can't speak from experience because I'm not flying, but I do have a handful of the Tyco W23's that I plan on using. As far as a bus bar between the W23s and the W58s, you could group the 23's together and the 58's together, and bend/twist the bus bar as needed to transition from one bank to another. Or you could jumper two separate bus bars together with the appropriate heavy gauge wire.

I believe there are lots of certified aircraft out there flying the W23 breakers.

My point of view only....but if I can't "pull" the breaker, I might as well use a fuse. fuses work for circuit protection just as well as breakers - the advantage to having a breaker is that it is very easy to use it as an "occasional use" switch - for EFIS boxes for instance, where you occasionally want to power cycle them while doing software updates/configuration.

My RV-8 has W23 breakers, the new RV-3 has the more compact Klixxons. I went with the W23's on the -8 back when I was "poor" and wanted to save a few dollars. The few dollar I saved? It was nothing in the big scheme of things, and I could have built a slightly more compact power panel had I spent a few dollars more. Almost every time I try and save a few percent on a build part, I regret it later.....but that's just me.

Paul

Back