What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pireps on cell phone switches

AN23

Well Known Member
I just got our engine back from Triad. Committed to doing everything possible to help engine live a long, productive life. Going to be installing an Anti-Splat engine heater and need a cell phone activated switch. The threads on this subject are mostly older threads and this technology is moving fast. I have T-Mobile for my cell service. I'd love to hear of other's experiences.

Attachments

• IMG_5693.jpg
    IMG_5693.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 65
Switcheon is the best plug and play option. It works very well and costs very little to operate. Your carrier doesn’t matter as they take care of it for you with their carrier. You use their app to turn on/off or set a schedule. It works in a closed hangar where my own cell phone has a hard time getting signal.

X2 for Switcheon. Use it a lot here in Wisconsin. Best thing I have ever had for preheat. Totally separate from my cell service and very reasonable. Inside a metal hangar with just the standard small antenna and no problems with it. Easy to program for on and off. I have one circuit on my engine heater and the other on my cabin heater.

Works great.
Keith

+3 for Switcheon. I had a wifi based switch previously but internet is spotty in my hangar. The Switcheon always works.

Last edited:
If you have cell service there are cheaper ways than switcheon. I have the switcheon and love it since we have crappy cell service and no wifi at the hangar.
Switcheon is free for a year than $60 a year. They have great customer service. I dropped my unit and the antenna broke off. I sent it back and they fixed it quickly and no charge. I recommend them highly.

Just got SwitcheOn a few days ago. Works great. i had issues getting cell signal into my hangar with my old phone switch. Switcheon has no problem and immediate response.

X2 for Switcheon. Use it a lot here in Wisconsin. Best thing I have ever had for preheat. Totally separate from my cell service and very reasonable. Inside a metal hangar with just the standard small antenna and no problems with it. Easy to program for on and off. I have one circuit on my engine heater and the other on my cabin heater.

Works great.
Keith
+3, agree on all.

For those that like a bit of DIY. I have been using the KiaoTime KT-G3-A from Amazon. It takes a little time to figure out the setup and add some cords but once past that, just works (text messages or calls) I'm in a metal hangar in an area without 'great' cell coverage so used the external antenna. I've probably got $200 in the whole thing.

For those that like a bit of DIY. I have been using the KiaoTime KT-G3-A from Amazon. It takes a little time to figure out the setup and add some cords but once past that, just works (text messages or calls) I'm in a metal hangar in an area without 'great' cell coverage so used the external antenna. I've probably got $200 in the whole thing.
I use the same thing Jon. It works great. I use a $3/month cell plan because it's all I need... and I'm cheap!

Does the airport have internet service? I just use this plug-in device to plug my heater into. App on my phone allows me to turn it on/off via the internet.

Does the airport have internet service? I just use this plug-in device to plug my heater into. App on my phone allows me to turn it on/off via the internet.

Our airport has a used trailer for a terminal and the number one guest is a dog named "Buddy". None of that highfalutin internet stuff for us!

Back