What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pirep: Tapered cyl fins CHT's

kevinsrv7.com

Well Known Member
Looking for CHT and OIL TEMP Pireps from people flying only the following:

RV7
TMX 360 with tapered cylinders (nickel+carbide)
Niagra or SW 7 row oil cooler.
Vans baffles, with or w/out the eci baffle mod.
Results of air dam trimming if any, on cyl 1 and 2.

Type of exhaust would be helpful as well. Two or four pipe?

Thanks All to the people that have previously commented on similar questions, especially regarding the ECI baffle mod.

I went with the tapered cylinders on my O-360 to save weight. Since I have a -9, reducing the weight was critical to me and being able to shave one and a half pounds per cylinder that far forward was very important.

You must control the cooling air around the tapered cylinders and ECi provides a template on their site for making an air dam that supports the inboard section of the baffles. If you use this template, then seal the air dam to the baffle with RTV prior to installation.

The other option is to cut the portion of the baffle off where it wraps around the cylinder and rivet on a custom piece that tightly wraps the cylinders.

Whatever you elect to do and regardless of which cylinders you chose, controlling the cooling air is key to happy cylinders!

Bill,

What I didn't tell you over the phone today is that Kevin and I have the last two engines out of the Mattituck shop!

I will pass on your pearls of wisdom to him next we chat.

Also, does anyone have a tapered cylinder engine who didn't do any mods?

We were wondering what that configuration might have yielded for temps...

:cool: CJ

...We were wondering what that configuration might have yielded for temps...

:cool: CJ
As I pointed out in my other post regarding cylinder temps, now that my plenum is properly sealed my CHT's are down in the mid 370's with the hottest being 380*F. That was at 100* LOP and 75% power at 3500 DA and 65*F OAT.

Back