What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pirep - quick visit to Vans Aircraft factory

mr.sun

Well Known Member
I made a quick visit to Vans at KUAO in the RV-7 to pick up toolbox kits for our next Young Eagles build project. Nice little project and educational. 2nd build by me and my son.

It was late on Friday afternoon and walking thru the facility I saw lots of parts on shelves, shipments packed up for customers and workers doing their thing. Asked for directions and got polite, helpful answers. Clean and efficient place. I think I saw Van, himself, as I was shutting down.

On my taxi back for departure, I went thru an area out back and discovered a drainage channel that is just wide enough for my tailwheel to drop into. I came to a quick stop with lots of noise from back there. In my mind, I thought the whole assembly had come off and had visions of parts strung out all over the pavement. Shut down, climbed out and was relieved to find no damage, my retrofit, lightweight tailwheel just fell into the drainage channel slot and bumped over the supports before I stopped. Picked it up, set it over a few inches, inspected it and flew home. All good.

Just my personal report that Vans Aircraft was alive and well from what I could see on Friday. :)

1713805892356.png

Ive seen those drainage slots many times there, and since we have those same tail wheels on all our RV’s, they still give me the willies! Always cross them at a steep angle.

Back