What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP on KFWN?

Joe

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a decent place to fly into and tie down while spending a few days at Crystal Springs Resort near Hamburg, NJ early next month.

Can I get a PIREP on KFWN, Sussex, NJ from someone with actual experience, please? I never know what to expect when airnav.com states "Surface: asphalt, in fair condition".

Thanks,
Joe

I'm looking for a decent place to fly into and tie down while spending a few days at Crystal Springs Resort near Hamburg, NJ early next month.

Can I get a PIREP on KFWN, Sussex, NJ from someone with actual experience, please? I never know what to expect when airnav.com states "Surface: asphalt, in fair condition".

Thanks,
Joe

I will check it next week Joe and report here.

The runway is in fairly good condition. The taxiways, well that's a different story. I would only use the runway to back-taxi. If I go more than 15 MPH on the taxiway with my SUV, I might damage something!

The airport is under new ownership and depending on who you ask might determined if it's for better or worse.

Last edited:
Thanks, Abraham, and you too, Vlad.

I especially the tip on back taxiing on the runway. Sounds like a decent enough airfield if I take it easy.

BTW, I expect to be based there from October 3 until departing on the 6th. Would be nice to meet up with some of the locals although I don't know how that'll work out with my stay at the resort.

--
Joe

PIREP

Joe,
I landed at Sussex and surveyed the field for you. FBO people already left and I couldn't find out if there is any fee. Locally based helicopter pilots told me there should be no problem with parking.

Runway is in decent shape. Parking area by the pumps is also free of loose gravel. There are three transient spots with ropes.

Taxiway is in poor shape but you can use runway for back taxi. The other half of the taxiway (south) is blocked by cones.

I know there is at least one RV10 on the field but I don't have any contact info.

Wow, nice job, Vlad, complete with pictures! Very helpful.

Looks like a nice, sleepy place. I'm going to enjoy being tied down there while at the resort.

--
Joe

Back