What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pirep: Lightspeed Sierra

jbagley

Well Known Member
I have 3 headsets in my airplane. My QT Halo, my wife's QT Halo and a lightspeed for passengers. I was giving passengers an old 20XL and having a hard time hearing them; the mic just wasn't working very well. A few weeks ago I decided to take advantage of Lightspeed's Trade-Up program and get a new Sierra headset for my passengers. Also, I figured it would be useful for local short flights that I do solo...

My first flight with the new Sierra was with a passenger using it (who is also a pilot). Despite having the mic an inch or more from his lips I could hear him over the intercom just fine, much more clearly than the old 20XL. His comments were that the sound quality was "outstanding" and that my airplane was pretty quiet for not having any insulation. :rolleyes:

The next weekend my parents were visiting; Dad and I put a couple hours on the airplane over the weekend with him using the new Sierra headset. He is hard of hearing and wears hearing aides. Said the headset worked great, very comfortable, and that ANR stuff is amazing! His experience is flying with David Clarke's for 3,000+ PIC hours.

My first flight using the headset was yesterday and I'm impressed. It's a nice headset. I believe the noise level is roughly the same as with my Halo headset as long as the foam tips are not worn out. If the foam tips on my Halo are showing some wear (like now) then the Lightspeed is quieter. I think for long flight's i'll stick with the Halo, but for short flights it's quicker to throw the lightspeed over my head than it is to jam foam in my ear.

+1 for Lightspeed Sierra.

Back