What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP: Incra Measuring devices

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
I have seen mentioned in various posts here the Incra measuring rules before. I have been meaning to get one, and last month I pulled the trigger. Now they are some of the most important tools in my shop.

I was laying out a cut that I had to make and it took me forever to get the layout just right. I was using a carpenters square and a narrow 12" rule. I needed the 12" rule because it had 1/32" graduations on it and my carpenters square does not. After measuring and re-measuring I was about to cut and I noticed that something looked off. I re-checked my work and found a line off by 1/2". I erased my error and remarked it correctly, but that was it. I knew what I had done had been partially because of the position of the carpenters square. Basically I was using the wrong tool for the job.

When I knocked off for the night I went into my office and started checking out the Incra products. I decided on 3 rules (they were on sale). The 12" "T" square, the 12" rule and the 12" bend rule (which is so cool). You can see some shots I took here.

Now measuring and laying out is simple and easy. The slots and holes in the rule are large enough for an ultra-fine Sharpie to mark through. The bend rule makes marking angle trivial. The rules are all very springy, too. They easily bend, if you need that. The marks on the rule are safe against acetone. I clean my rules frequently and the acetone has no effect on them. I may get the smaller "T" square. The larger one is great, but is sometimes a little much. They also have protractors and all manner of other measuring tools. I highly recommend these for your plane project, or just about any precision measuring job you might have.

....and if you enjoy making dovetail and box joints in your woodworking shop, you ain't seen 'nuthin' if you've never used their Incra-jig.

Best,

Thanks for the review. I found they sell through Amazon at a goodly discount, and with their free shipping (I'm a Prime member, but any order over $25 gets free shipping too, just delayed some), the savings were enough to where I ordered several of these. Wish I had known about these, oh, say 5 years ago ;)

....and if you enjoy making dovetail and box joints in your woodworking shop, you ain't seen 'nuthin' if you've never used their Incra-jig.

Best,

+1 for Pierre. The Incra jig will also make a bunch of other decorative joints, wooden hinges and other cool stuff. Plus, it is a very nicely made piece of equipment. I doubt that I will ever hand cut another set of dovetails.

Jim Berry
RV-10

+1 for Pierre. The Incra jig will also make a bunch of other decorative joints, wooden hinges and other cool stuff. Plus, it is a very nicely made piece of equipment. I doubt that I will ever hand cut another set of dovetails.

Jim Berry
RV-10

...invented by an electrical engineer who loves woodworking:)

Best,

Back