What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP: iFly/Adventure Pilot Service - 4 stars

walkman

Well Known Member
I'm posting this in part because there was a recent thread on owners being forced to pay return shipping on parts etc that failed in warranty.

Recently Adventure Pilot/iFly informed me that *some* iFly 720 units had a hardware manufacturing glitch and that rather than waiting to see who reported the issue they were offering to replace all units from the affected period.

They sent me a pre-paid UPS label and shipped me a brand new unit as soon as my unit (which had never exhibited the problem) hit their door. I was out of a GPS unit for about 2 days.

Four out of 5 stars!

Do you know the serial numbers effected?
Or were they manufactured date range?

Have to check with them on that. Sorry.

Update: when I logged in to update my maps, I found they had also already updated my profile for me for the new serial number. Good stuff.

Have to check with them on that. Sorry.

Update: when I logged in to update my maps, I found they had also already updated my profile for me for the new serial number. Good stuff.

Have they implemented the terrain awareness? Their website said to be released in the spring.
I'm looking to replace my Lowrance 2000c and this looks like a nice replacement especially since they've released a sunlight readable product.

They paid for both ways shipping on my return, and the new 720 they sent me works perfectly. Absolutely the most amazing piece of equipment I use when flying. Also, just received an e-mail from AirGizmo -- they now offer a panel mount for the 700/720. Not sure I'll put one in my 150, but it's now available if you need one for your panel.

I am a beta tester for IFLY with terrain and it works great. The production release should be in a couple of weeks if not sooner.

I bought an Airgizmo mount and a backup battery. I plan on mounting it in portrait next to my future 8.4" grt efis:D

Last edited:
iFly 720

Have they implemented the terrain awareness? Their website said to be released in the spring.
I'm looking to replace my Lowrance 2000c and this looks like a nice replacement especially since they've released a sunlight readable product.

I just bought one of the 720 units for the same reason - to replace my Lowrance 2000C - and I asked about both the terrain awareness feature and whether a portrait view mode would be available. They sent me some screen shots of the terrain awareness version and said it would be out in "a couple weeks" available as free download/upgrade. Glad to hear the beta testing is going well!
I was told the portrait mode would be in the following software update after the terrain awareness.

I've only made 2 flights so far with the 720, and played with it a bunch on the ground including using it in streets mode during a 900 mile WA to CA drive. So far I really like it. Great to have charts right on the GPS and the subscription rates are very reasonable ($69/yr VFR, $109/yr for IFR/VFR package).
I'm using it on RAM mount on side rail where I normally have my iPhone mounted but will put it on the panel where my 2000C is once they get the terrain awareness upgrade done, although I'd really like the portrait mode done so it can be pretty much a direct replacement for the 2000C (just slightly larger overall). When I pull the 2000C and put the 720 on the panel, I'll need to do the wiring of serial output to my Trio wing leveler and Dynon, and will hard wire to power as well.

Didn't get a photo yet but can get the idea from photo below; I've got it mounted where the iPhone RAM mount is and eventually it'll go right where you see the 2000C:

iPhoneMount(small)-2.jpg

iFly installation, Lowrance 2000C replacement

Well, the iFly terrain awareness software update came out so I installed the new software and pulled my 2000C out of the panel. Got the iFly wired to power and autopilot today and installed. Didn't get a chance to fly with it fully wired yet, but Trio was getting good GPS data and it looks like everything is working right. Will probably get to optest in the air later this week.

Before and after pictures are below and full story of my panel change process is at this link:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/panelAndElectrical/panel/panelPg7.htm

Old look:

BeforeGPSreplacement.JPG

And new look:

InstalledPowered(small).JPG

Mount I used rather than building into panel like the 2000C is shown here during fitup process, prior to cable holes being added (iFly wouldn't fit same way without portrait mode yet):

MountTempfitSideView(small).JPG

Back