What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP - Headsets Inc. ANR Kit

walkman

Well Known Member
I had an older (mid-90's) set of Davey Clark head squeezer medieval torture device (Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!) and audio device. Very uncomfortable, very noisy, very unusable. Having just dropped a chunk of change to buy an airplane I didn't really feel like spending a grand on a new headset for my PAX, I was planning to continue to use my old late-90's original Lightspeed ANR headsets for myself even though the thickness of the crown on the headset was hitting the canopy (I'm a shade over 6').

I ordered the parts from Headsets Inc, to re-do my DC head clampers with ANR, stereo, and got new ear seals and a lambswool crown pad. Got friendly, quick answers to my pre-buy questions from the guys at Headsets, dropped about $276 including shipping, and got my kit in about 3 days. Took less than 90 minutes once I had my tools out to install the kit.

Headset is very comfortable (I did straighten the metal frame slightly) and is much quieter even without the ANR turned on. With the ANR turned on its a great headset. So much so, that I'm going to buy an el-cheapo headset just for the frame/cups and order the same parts again from Headsets and build me another set and relegate my Lightspeeds to emergency backup.

I just wish the little power pack box also had a jack for music input or cell phone connection.

I had both of my H10 14.3's done at OSH by Headsets Inc and have been very happy with them. On my second set I got the power module with the auto power down feature. Didn't with the first one. Long story short, due to my leaving the unit powered up all afternoon while at a fly-in, the battery went TU while flying back to my home drome and really got my attention. The increased noise made me think I had a whale of an engine problem. Good exercise and a lesson learned.

If you want a relatively inexpensive way to get into an ANR headset, Headsets Inc is definitely worth a look.

I have been happily flying with these for 8 years or so, in a couple of old 1980s vintage David Clark headsets.

When I built the RV 10, I picked up a couple of Peltor headsets here on VAF, I think I paid $50 for both, and then I bought the Headsets Inc modules and ear cups for them. I now have 4 nice ANR headsets for the plane, and for the cost of only one of some of the competitors.

Very happy to have nice ANR units for only a couple hundred bucks each, fantastic performance for the dollar.

I also went with the built in power module, and installed a third jack for each seat position, no more of the little black boxes for me. Each module will power a pair of headsets, but you need to hook up a second jack.

Good folks, and good product.

Same here

Retrofitted my 1990's DC Headset with their ANR module and it's been amazing me for the past 10 years. I often fly in a friend's Lightspeed Headset equipped airplane, and I always bring my DC when I do.

Back