What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pipestone National Monument

petehowell

Well Known Member
Andi is more of a history buff than I am, but I like to learn new stuff as much as the next guy - and if we get to go flyin', too - count me in!

It might be because it is 4 hrs away by car and kinda in the middle of nowhere, but in the 22 years we have lived in Minnesota, we have never visited our state's only National Monument, Pipestone. (Update - we have second National Monument- way up by Canada, Grand Portage)

A little planning showed this is a perfect trip for the RV - airport right next to town, city car available to borrow, and great little cafe/bakery for lunch! The morning was a little gray, but the weather was getting better every hour. At 11:30 we headed to the airport and loaded up. It was a nice day over the lakes.....
Pipestone%252520001.jpg

Andi napped - my flying is that smooth.....
Pipestone%252520003.jpg

About an hour later, we saw the all the windmills just east of Pipestone.....
Pipestone%252520006.jpg

We landed, put the bird away, and stole the courtesy car from the airport. First stop - Lange's Cafe for lunch. Great homemade food and very friendly people!

After lunch, we wandered out to the Monument just north of town. We were warmly greeted by Ranger Cody who gave us the lay of the land and started a great movie about Pipestone and the people who quarry the stone there. We toured the museum and learned about the red stone used to make make pipes and how it is extracted.
Pipestone%252520014.jpg

Other items made of pipestone.....
Pipestone%252520017.jpg

Hands on exhibits allow you to work this unique material - here Andi carves me a miniature RV-9A......
Pipestone%252520020.jpg

The soft stone was a recording media for people long ago. Many petroglyphs have been found on the site.....
Pipestone%252520021.jpg

The walking tour takes you outside to to see the quarries and rock formations....

Pipestone%252520045.jpg

and a pretty waterfall....
Pipestone%252520041.jpg

The blooming prairie rounded out a great visit.....
Pipestone%252520049.jpg

Jump in the car, stop to add a few gallons of gas, and back to the airport. Preflight, take off and we are back home in an hour - the only way to go!

Pipestone is not a flashy place, so the kids might not enjoy it, but it is interesting, beautiful, and filled with history. It is is also RV friendly with a great airport and an available car. If you are in the upper midwest, or on the way to Oshkosh, it is worth a trip.

Last edited:
Pipestone: Scientific name, Catlinite. After the american artist George Catlin who painted the injuns quarrying in the 1830's. Catlinite from the pipestone quarry has been ID'd all through the americas all the way to panama, etc. (amazing early trade routes). Once thought all red pipestone came from just this quarry but almost identical stone has been found in MT in recent times. Utah has a variety that is slightly harder.
Now how do I link this with RV's so I don't get deleted? Got it! It would make great stick grips. Carves easy, can be threaded, absorbs sweat, and can be cleaned with sandpaper, polished with beeswax.

Thanks for the write-up Pete. Nice pics. I like the obligatory shot of Andi napping in the 9A :D. I know you are a smooth flyer but maybe that wing along with that exceptionally smooth 320 you have in there may have something to do with it too ;).

Every time Pete posts a picture of his wife she's sleeping in the right seat. You're not puttin' roofies in the ginger ale are you Pete?

Snoozin'

Every time Pete posts a picture of his wife she's sleeping in the right seat. You're not puttin' roofies in the ginger ale are you Pete?

Anyone who has ever had a conversation with me will understand why my wife sleeps.........

Hey, we flew right over that area this morning (about 0600) - but we were on top, IFR, running to get out of the way of a bunch of storms moving in from the Dakotas, so we coudln't stop.....

Nice pics and write-up, as usual, Pete.

Paul

Back