What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Piper Pa28 heated pitot for RV4

TIPSYNIPPER

Hi Guys/Girls,
I want to fit a heated Pitot to my RV4, I like the Piper ones as they are robust and don't stick down very far (ouch or damage).
From what I can find on the forums there are different Piper blade types, which have different angles on the lower part of the blade where the static port is. This different angle gives different results regarding correct ASI at or close to the stall. Does anyone know which angle/Piper part# gives the best results please?
Can anyone provide photos of the way they reinforced the wing skin for the Piper pitot?
Could it not be fitted to the wing access panel? Obviously the hoses would need to be high temp' and flexible.
Thank you for your help.
Neil

Hi Guys/Girls,
I want to fit a heated Pitot to my RV4, I like the Piper ones as they are robust and don't stick down very far (ouch or damage).
From what I can find on the forums there are different Piper blade types, which have different angles on the lower part of the blade where the static port is. This different angle gives different results regarding correct ASI at or close to the stall. Does anyone know which angle/Piper part# gives the best results please?
Can anyone provide photos of the way they reinforced the wing skin for the Piper pitot?
Could it not be fitted to the wing access panel? Obviously the hoses would need to be high temp' and flexible.
Thank you for your help.
Neil

Are you using an EFIS or going with a six pack? The reason I ask is that Dynon, AFS, and Garmin would prefer that you use their heated pitot. Especially if you want to take advantage of their AOA features.

You'll also find that these pitots are significantly less expensive than a new Piper part.

bob

Hi Guys/Girls,
Thank you for your help.
Neil

My experience has been that at of the Piper probes work just fine on an RV for Pitot. Forget about using the static port - you'll never get it to give you accurate readings, so use the Van's ports (and ovations) for static. Reinforcing is easy - make a doubler per AC-43.13. The access panel closest to the preferred pitot location on an RV is the one that gets you into the aileron bellcrank - yo'll likely have interference problems if you try to put hoses and the pitot on the plate.

.... The access panel closest to the preferred pitot location on an RV is the one that gets you into the aileron bellcrank - yo'll likely have interference problems if you try to put hoses and the pitot on the plate.

While interference here is a big concern, take a look anyway... I have the pitot for the Rocket and the RV-8 mounted on this plate with no issues.

Back