What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pipe dope?

walkman

Well Known Member
Not sure if this is the correct place for this but...

In several places on my aircraft I have NPT rather that AN style fittings. This includes the primer nozzle which isn't really a primer nozzle just a male AN male NPT fitting, also on some of the fittings tee-ing off MAP line for gauge and ECU.

I realize that with AN fittings it's the flare, not the thread, that seals. That isn't true with NPT which I understand uses a tapered thread as the seal.

Should I use pipe dope on the NPT threads anywhere to ensure a correct seal?

I've been using Permatex #2 form-a-gasket for about 50 years on all NPT threads. Never had a problem. Doesn't take much.

Ditto on the Permatex brown goo.

Probably the very best stuff that exists to use on NPT taper thread fittings.

I use the Aviation #3 Form-a-gasket myself because.... well I have a giant sized bottle of it that'll probably last a lifetime. The only differences between the #2 and #3 formulas is the percentages of talc or kaolin, vegetable oil, and pine rosin in the mixture. The #3 is a lot more runny, but if you leave the bottle opened in a hot Texas hangar for a couple weeks, it'll solve that problem ;)

Back