What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pilot Comfort when seated

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Here is a weird one, I spent a couple hours in my cockpit today fiddling with the EMS stuff. Maybe because my old body is strange, but my right leg wants to lay against the edge of the center console, and it hurts! Am thinking some sort of pad may be in order, has anyone else had that problem? Hard to show in pictures, but here is a stab at it:
al2np1.jpg
[/IMG]

Don,

The carpet helps a lot. On long flights I prop my feet on the floor either side of the stick. It's nice to have an autopilot!😀

Rich

It is very possible that your seatback is set one inch inboard (by the hinge being on the "wrong side".) Those seatback hinge pictures for mounting are tricky. Check both seats relative to the flap handle, which should be centered. It is even possible that both your seats are set inboard by a full "tooth." Easy to move them outboard, you may need a longer pin if you cut them wrong.

Good thinking. I do recall that the plans had the seats with unequal spacing. Not sure just how I did mine.

The seats, when installed, are symmetrical, not with unequal spacing. I haven't pulled out the plans to look at the hinges again (which may or may not be flipped tooth-vs-gap side-to-side, I don't think so...) but when in, the seatbacks should be symmetrical in the cabin and equidistant from the flap handle.

ADDED: Referencing the seat backs to the Seat belt attachments is a good way to check this.

Last edited:
Don, another thing to think about depending where you are flying that little box can get quite warm in the summertime.
dick seiders 120093

Back