What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pilot & Co-pilot centerline on panel

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Did a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for...maybe it's in the plans, too, and I missed it? Looking for a measured centerline for the pilot and co-pilot's side of the instrument panel (x.x" left or right of panel centerline). Still a ways from laying out the panel, just gathering info so I can play with position the EFIS, GPS, etc., with primary flight displays centered in front of the pilot, etc.

Thanks for any info...much appreciated...

Steve

Did a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for...maybe it's in the plans, too, and I missed it? Looking for a measured centerline for the pilot and co-pilot's side of the instrument panel (x.x" left or right of panel centerline). Still a ways from laying out the panel, just gathering info so I can play with position the EFIS, GPS, etc., with primary flight displays centered in front of the pilot, etc.

Thanks for any info...much appreciated...

Steve

On my -6 I calculated it from the CL of the seat backs relative to the CL of the fuselage.

Jim Sharkey - another Flying Scotsman
flagso.jpg

Last edited:
The pilot/co-pilot centerline is not nearly as critical as you might think. You can be several inches off and not notice.

And the pilot/co-pilot are so close together you could use 1/4 width as a good approximation. On the other hand, I can easily reach/see across the entire panel of my -6 and the -7 is not much different. From the co-pilot's seat I can easily scan my pilot's-side EFIS. If you are considering dual displays you might want to reconsider. Both Aerotronics and SteinAir have excellent galleries of the panels they have built and you'll see that asymmetrical is the rule rather than the exception.

Not sure about the tip-up, but in the slider the pilot and copilot's viewpoints are more or less centered on the F-7107-L/R subpanel ribs.

mcb

Not sure about the tip-up, but in the slider the pilot and copilot's viewpoints are more or less centered on the F-7107-L/R subpanel ribs.

mcb

The sub-panel rib on the tip-up is approximately 1-2" outboard of the C/L, but again you would never notice the offset.

But it can...

The pilot/co-pilot centerline is not nearly as critical as you might think. You can be several inches off and not notice.

...make a difference for an IFR-approved Garmin 430/530 installation with reference to annuciators.

One of the magic numbers is 11.8 inches from the pilot's centerline to the left edge of the 430...

Other options are to measure from the center of a "6 pack" or the control stick location - check your IM.

Not a big deal

I wholeheartedly agree with Mel on this one, don't worry about being so centered that you create a bunch of work for yourself. One noted builder spent hours redesigning his support ribs for a tip up to move the EFIS a half inch. This isn't a 737 panel.

Pat noted that you can easily reach everything. This is true. My 496 is mounted on the far right. It is easy to see and operate.

The thing to be aware of on a tip up is making sure you leave ample distance on the top so the reinforcement kit clears all the equipment. (No comments!!!!:mad:)

Work smarter, not harder.

I'll add that the pilot and passenger c/l vary. If you have a "bubba" in the right seat, you'll probably adjust your seating position slightly left of where you might be solo...

In reply to a rude PM...

...make a difference for an IFR-approved Garmin 430/530 installation with reference to annunciators.

One of the magic numbers is 11.8 inches from the pilot's centerline to the left edge of the 430...

Other options are to measure from the center of a "6 pack" or the control stick location - check your IM.

...the "magic numbers" come from the TSO requirements spelled out in section 2.5.1 of the Garmin 430W Installation Manual.

Now, if you feel you don't need to meet the TSO requirements for IFR flight, then they can be ignored -- however some avionics shops are reading those requirements and insisting on a separate annunciator if the "magic numbers" are not being met....

Pat noted that you can easily reach everything. This is true. My 496 is mounted on the far right. It is easy to see and operate.

The GPS is one item that I really prefer to be somewhat centered, or over on the pilots side. In addition to several different GPSs that have been on my left side, we have a backup on the right. While I can see the right side GPS okay; it's much easier to see and operate on the left, without holding an arm over the right seat passenger. And you can pay more attention if it's centered or on the left for items such as weather, restricted airspace, etc. I also prefer the GPS to be closer to my line of sight, than looking down between the seats, on the floor, or a kneeboard.

These day's we have a Garmin 696 & Lowrance 600C as the backup. Previously had a 496 & 296 as the backup.

L.Adamson

...make a difference for an IFR-approved Garmin 430/530 installation with reference to annuciators.

One of the magic numbers is 11.8 inches from the pilot's centerline to the left edge of the 430....

Good point! In my airplane, it's 9 inches and change from the left side of the radio stack to the subpanel rib, so there is plenty of margin to meet the TSO requirements in a side-by-side RV if you mount the radios just to the right of the center rib:

20080106_radios2.jpg

cheers,
mcb

430 is

Great point. I should have pointed out that I have 430 that is mounted in a typical stack. If primary, you are 100% correct.

The GPS is one item that I really prefer to be somewhat centered, or over on the pilots side. In addition to several different GPSs that have been on my left side, we have a backup on the right. While I can see the right side GPS okay; it's much easier to see and operate on the left, without holding an arm over the right seat passenger. And you can pay more attention if it's centered or on the left for items such as weather, restricted airspace, etc. I also prefer the GPS to be closer to my line of sight, than looking down between the seats, on the floor, or a kneeboard.

These day's we have a Garmin 696 & Lowrance 600C as the backup. Previously had a 496 & 296 as the backup.

L.Adamson

It complies

...the "magic numbers" come from the TSO requirements spelled out in section 2.5.1 of the Garmin 430W Installation Manual.

Now, if you feel you don't need to meet the TSO requirements for IFR flight, then they can be ignored -- however some avionics shops are reading those requirements and insisting on a separate annunciator if the "magic numbers" are not being met....

Yes Gil, it complies with the requirements for IFR flight. All avionics were installed by me in appropriate compliance with the IM.

Thanks for all the info, fellas...I'll take *all* of that into consideration when I design the panel.

Just one thing though...nobody actually answered the question! LOL!

All I wanted was a single number to *start* the layout process, then I'll move things and tweak things from there, using all this info and more...

I Told You How To Calculate It :)

Thanks for all the info, fellas...I'll take *all* of that into consideration when I design the panel.

All I wanted was a single number to *start* the layout process, then I'll move things and tweak things from there, using all this info and more...

It's 20 inches center to center.

Jim Sharkey

Don't know why I didn't think of this when I was planning my panel, but a quick way to figure it out might be to measure the distance between control columns, assuming they're equidistant from a/c centre??

That's it! Thanks, guys...that'll give me some fun stuff to do with the panel for a time as I wait for replacement parts from Van's (grrrrrr...I *hate* making mistakes and having to re-order parts!).

20" like the man said

Jim Sharkey hit it on the head. The sticks are 20" apart on a -7. I take that to be the seating and head position designed centerlines. This falls just outboard of the panel support ribs.

Yeah, I shoulda thought of the stick-to-stick distance :). I was too wrapped up in thinking of seatback-to-seatback distances, which would have all sorts of margin for error. Not so with the sticks!

Thanks mucho, everyone...now, time to play around with panel designs :)

Back