What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pictures of Instrument Panel

orenjr

I would like to have pictures of the instrument panels from the seating position. Could some of you post your panels for me? I am interested in different color combinations and also those of you that are licensing as EAB.
Thanks! Oren

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Rustoleum hammer finish brown, available at Wal-Mart. Turned out great. I primed first with SW self etch primer. You can see my panel at my website below. Look in the Electrical and finish kit pages.
Edit! Another option if you want a smooth black fnish is Krylon BBQ and stove paint. It is a satin finish and really goes on nice and smooth. I used it on my landing light brackets.

Last edited:
When first finished - -

RV-12Dashfinished100_1030.jpg

My dash is different from the rest of the interior. It is "desert sand" as I recall. Rattle can. Sandpaper type finish, but not overly abrasive. Easy to touch up. Put over white, flat, primer. NO GLARE !

John Bender

Last edited:
Tony,

What program did you use for the "white on clear" N number over your Dynon? Looks nice.

Pete

lettering

Thanks for the pictures. Great looking panels. I also would like to know the best way to make labels. Tony I especially like the white on black that your panel has. Also did you screw or rivet the center panel? I am cosidering laminating a layer of carbon fiber for the paint but am worried about durability.
Thanks! Oren

I had my panel powder coated in textured flat black. If I had it to do over I would have just used powder coat flat black so the decals would stick better. The texture is nice looking though.

RV-12_panel.JPG

Thanks for the pictures. Great looking panels. I also would like to know the best way to make labels. Tony I especially like the white on black that your panel has. Also did you screw or rivet the center panel? I am cosidering laminating a layer of carbon fiber for the paint but am worried about durability.
Thanks! Oren

My center panel is installed with all screws, no rivets. The white on black labels are supplied by Van's with the documentation kit, except the N number label which is just a piece of sticky back plastic supplied and engraved by a trophy shop. Nothing exotic here at all, I don't even know where a powder coat shop is.

Tony

Here is the panel from N397JC:

4ttvr6.jpg

The panel is flat black plastic that has been laser engraved so that all of the labels are etched into the plastic so that they will not rub off. You may note that this cleans up the fuse area and that we used an Air Gismo for the 496. These plastic overlays are just under 1/16 inch thick and were laser cut from the original Van's CAD drawings for each instrument panel segment. The glove box door is just painted gloss black.

Best regards,
Vern

Vern Where can I get the overlay.

Hi Oren,

We have a man here at Spruce Creek who makes them for me, he has a lot of different colors and some get engraved from the back as well. They cost about $ 300 a set for the full panel.

First you have to get me permission from Scott Risan, General Manager at Van's, to provide them to you as I had to agree that the provision of the drawings was for use only on aircraft I own.

Have a good day.

Best regards,
Vern

overlay

Katie
Can you do a overlay in flat black with white lettering? Also how much would it cost?
Thanks! Oren

Back