What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pics of Cowling Installation Tool

I'm going to have a showplanes cowl on the front of an IO390 with a prop extension. I suppose the EZ cowl could mount on the front of the prop extension but the disk diameter would have to be different. Has anyone used a similar setup with the showplanes cowl?

Here you go……

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

I have a 13” spinner, so I drew the 13” circle on the back side of the round plate to reference where to mount the cowl vertically. There’s already lines milled on the back to mark different spinner sizes.

Last edited:
Cowl fitting tool

I used a dummy engine assembled from real Lyc parts that could not be overhauled. I still have it, it’s time to sell it and I live in New Iberia. Maybe we should talk?

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• IMG_0555.jpeg
    IMG_0555.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0556.jpeg
    IMG_0556.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I think I want a cowling installation tool, https://flyboyaccessories.com/products/cowling-installation-tool but I cant really visualize how it works. :D does anyone have any photos of this tool in use?

The cowl installation tool allows you to set the large aluminum disc to the exact distance you want the front edge of your cowling to be.

For example, let's say that your prop, which you need to either have on hand, or at least 100% picked out, has a distance of 3" from the aft edge of the prop hub, where it contacts the flywheel, to the aft edge of the spinner dome. And let's say that you want 1/4" clearance between your cowling and your spinner. So, subtract 1/4" from 3" to get 2.75".

Install the cowl tool on your crankshaft. Set the distance to 2.75". This is where the forward face of the cowling is going to be.

Begin your cowling installation. Follow the various kit instructions as usual, and cleco the forward face of your cowling to the large aluminum disc on the tool, making sure that everything is aligned and making sense.

Double check everything, then proceed with the cowling installation.

When you're done you should be able to remove the tool and install the prop and spinner and have an exact fit!

YMMV, be sure you doublecheck all of your dimensions!

Back