What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Picking up the Plane at GLO

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
The trip started out with getting the plane at Grady's. After a thorough preflight including the removal of some inspection panels for safety sake, I went for a quick lap around the pattern to make sure all was well. We then filled the tanks, loaded the luggage and went for lunch. We had a good time chatting with Doug, Walt as well as the locals and soon said our good byes.
2zyzhuh.jpg

Next stop was Mustang Beach for the weekend. We weaved our way through the busy Dallas airspace while we got cleared from center for permission to climb. The air was mucky but at least it was warm. We made our way south with 35kts on the nose.
33c55dv.jpg

2.5 hours we set up for final in clear skies and 4 mile vis. Not the west for sure.
4rrix4.jpg

After a 3 days of fun at the beach and touring Corpus we packed up for Phoenix. The plan was to stop at Las Cruces for lunch. Once at altitude we sat back as we plugged along with close to 40 kts on the nose at times. Plans got changed when our daugter said she had to pee at the 2.75 hr mark. New plan, Pacos TX. That descent turned into a clean up job of our son as little did we know he was gorging himself on cheese crackers. Thank you car seat for keeping it off the plane:rolleyes:
We cleaned him up and went into town for lunch and was soon airborne again making sure we did not run into the many dust devils in the area. We leveled at 10.5 and my son complained about a sore belly, we were now in the middle of Pacos and Las Cruces, new destination Las cruces. He insisted he did not need to be sick but a 4 year really does not know. My wife and I agreed that if he fell asleep we would press on. 10 minutes later he was out. We airport hopped to Phoenix to make sure we had a quick place to stop. He awoke on the descent into the Phoenix valley a brand new boy, he just needed some sleep.
We soon touched down in Good Year after being put in a hold do to an aircraft with a flat tire on the runway. 6hrs from Mustang.
121ddsn.jpg

We enjoyed 3 days in Phoenix and planned for Vegas and/or San Diego before heading back. We then got a phone call of a mysterious puddle of water on the basement floor. New plan, home.:confused:
We left Phoenix at 10:30 Calgary Time and made our way north. Once on course we had a wonderful 37 kt headwind. We flew the Tuckup Corridor over the Grand Canyon and...
11iifqg.jpg

flew over Colorado City and Zion Parks.
30nk6fc.jpg

The plan was a stop in Ogden for lunch. We had planned to meet up with Scott and Sean on the weekend, but leaving during the week ruined that plan. We touched down in Ogden after a 3.6 flight.
With full bellies the next stop was Great Falls.
2cnff5v.jpg

We plugged along around the snow squalls and made it into Great Falls in 2.5 from Ogden with a strong 30 plus knot wind blowing. Not a warm wind either. I got on the phone with Canpass and booked customs for 7:30pm and then filed the E-apis. We soon touched down in Lethbridge with customs waiting for us so they could get there share of my new paint job. 30 minutes later we touched down at our home airport and taxied onto the ramp that was full of snow. We were not in the south anymore.
I tucked the plane away and went home to investigate. The fun was over.
fenep1.jpg

Last edited:
Soooo????

What was the puddle about that got you to rush home? failed washing machine valve? water heater leak? puppy have an accident?

inquiring minds want to know:D

Oh, and you managed to have headwinds on every leg? Seems like that violates some conservation law:)

Last edited:
What was the puddle about that got you to rush home? failed washing machine valve? water heater leak? puppy have an accident?

inquiring minds want to know:D

Oh, and you managed to have headwinds on every leg? Seems like that violates some conservation law:)

Still a bit of a mystery, the water was off in the house and the sump was dry. We had a big snow melt and lots of rain so my best guess is the water table came up and weeped in through a crack in the slab and found it way on top of the slate floor. It looked like a mop bucket was kicked over. No base boards or dry wall showed any signs of damage. A few days later water started running in the sump and the weeping tile in the sump is dry. So water is coming up from below it seams. The sump pit has been dry since the house was built, 3years ago, and this year has been our biggest snow to date. It is all I can think of. Sump is now running like crazy.

Back