What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Piano Wire Rudder Trim

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I'm leaning towards installing the Piano Wire style rudder trim (ala Vic Syracuse) http://myrv10.com/N104CD/upgrades/20071104/index.html and I'm wondering if anyone with one can report if it's effective enough? I'm NOT looking for rudder trim/no rudder trim type discussion, but rather anyone with this style can report if it has enough force to work as intended or not?

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards installing the Piano Wire style rudder trim (ala Vic Syracuse) http://myrv10.com/N104CD/upgrades/20071104/index.html and I'm wondering if anyone with one can report if it's effective enough? I'm NOT looking for rudder trim/no rudder trim type discussion, but rather anyone with this style can report if it has enough force to work as intended or not?

Piano Wire????

The short answer to your question, is yes, the hinge mounted to the rudder works just fine. There are many flying today.

There are two other solutions you may wish to consider.

A more elegant solution, but more difficult to build is what Geoff Combs and several others have done. You can see Geoff's photos here.

The other solution is to use springs for trim. Many have done implemented their own similiar solution, or you can purchase a kit from ML Skunkworks. This is the easiest of the three options to implement.

I also have an inset trim tab------works just fine.

PB030050.jpg

The other solution is to use springs for trim. Many have done implemented their own similiar solution, or you can purchase a kit from ML Skunkworks. This is the easiest of the three options to implement.

I'm all for tabs on the rudder. While aileron forces are "light" and easy to overcome with springs...............the required force on a rudder is heavy. That just means a lot tougher set of springs. I don't like any springs, that are artificially controlling my flight surfaces. I wouldn't mind a servo operated rudder trim on my six. It does have a fixed tab.......since the vertical stab is installed with no offset........as with later models.

L.Adamson

Mike, I like the tab approach from an estetic standpoint. Do you have a link to what it took to actually do that mod? How are you guys cutting the tab out so straight? What parts are you using to build the tab?

Mike, I like the tab approach from an estetic standpoint. Do you have a link to what it took to actually do that mod? How are you guys cutting the tab out so straight? What parts are you using to build the tab?

Did you look at the link I provided to Geoff's photo album? Those are the pics that most people have copied the idea from. Like many mods, there isn't any formal documentation or instructions.

Sorry, no link to the details.

The tab is all new, not just using the part cut out of the rudder.

The right skin is rolled over so it keeps a fairly consistent gap when the tab is moved, see more photos in this thread, the ribs are made from phenolic and pro-sealed in.

Last edited:
Sorry for slight thread hi-jack, but does the RV10 need Rudder trim more than other models (i.e I got experience on RV7) that necessitate a a Rudder trim?

Regards
Rudi

Sorry for slight thread hi-jack, but does the RV10 need Rudder trim more than other models (i.e I got experience on RV7) that necessitate a a Rudder trim?

Regards
Rudi

Clearly there is more torque on the RV-10 than the other models with smaller engines. However, I don't believe it is significant enough to require rudder trim. There are plenty of RV-10s flying with no trim or just the fixed tab stuck on the rudder.

I think the phenomenon that you see with RV-10s is that a significant number of builders are constructing their dream machine with every possible bell and whistle built into the aircraft.

Is rudder trim required, no.... but it's nice to have.

I suspect Bob is right. My -6A is right on for cruise and requires little or no rudder for mild turns. However, I expect I will be spending more time on autopilot with the -10 (maybe not, I like operating the controls myself) and so I want a coupled yaw dampener. I don't expect I will be trimming manually, though.

Bob is also right in that the -10 will be my hot-rod; I'm intending lots of bell and whistles. If I were building it as a simple family flyer, without all the fancy stuff, I would probably not bother with a rudder trim servo.

Back