What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phone Cable Way Too Long

JohnF

Well Known Member
31-03 step 6 calls for phone cable ES RS 279-374 to be routed from the right side of the plane up through behind the instrument panel, but it seems way, way, too long. I guess I'll just wrap it up in a handy spot and use it as is. Did you find the same thing? If so, what did you do? thanks for any tips.

I don;t know what this is used for in the -12; I have one from my ACK ELT to the panel remote in my -6A. The connectors are pretty cheap but the installation tool is pricey. If you know a telephone tech, they might be willing to shorten the cable for you; it's a very quick procedure. Just mark the cable and let them cut it; they'll verify any cross-overs in the provided cable. Don't forget to leave a loop at both ends and provide support and strain relief.

phone line

Radio shack has a cheap plastic tool for this, 6 or 8 bucks , might never use it again but it works, comes with the ends also, make sure you get the orientation correct, I think its backwards on my elt..

Danny..

Not all that long

The cable seems way too long at first glance, but after it is routed you will find that the extra can be coiled or folded easily out of the way behind the panel. I would't cut the cable and risk getting a poor connection unless I were familiar with the tool and how to use it. And, a cheap tool to use on an aircraft application doesn't make sense to me.

Tony

Use it...

as supplied, and yes the connections on one end are backwards from a regular phone line. The chance of getting a bad connection with the cheesy crimp tools they sell are about 50%.

Back