What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

phase I testing time and E-LSA

jim

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the E-LSA is assigned a phase I test phase and is it the standard 25 or 40 hr test time? I know to do the testing properly it will take all of 40 hr at least, but do the regs treat them different if it is ELSA?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

I think if you follow Van's plans exactly, then the phase 1 time is something like five (5) hours.

The thinking is that all the planes should be exactly the same, thus the low test time and the reason you need to get your LSA A&P (or whatever it's called) license to do the condition inspection.

Thanks Bill,

I thought I had read somewhere it was 5 or 10 hr, but couldn't remember.

jim

Bill:
Is the registration for these planes ELSA or will they be registered only under light sport. I thought the reasoning behind standardization was to allow the RV 12s to be put together by "assemblers", rather than "builders". What's your take on this.
Terry

Terry,

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

The E-LSA is a light sport, only that it has to be built exactly as the S-LSA Van has designed. (This is from the Van's web site) S-LSA is a Special LSA used for proving out a design. At this time, all subsequent RV-12 kits will be built and licensed as E-LSA's.

By insisting they are all built exactly as the original test article, regardless of who builds it, you or some company, they should all be exactly the same. (Except for the paint job.) By the same, that means instruments, wiring, engine, prop, etc.

What is unknown at this point is if they can be licensed as an E-AB, like the other RV's. Remember, if an E-AB meets the requirements of an LSA, it can be flown by an LSA pilot. That is how many of the Sonex's, Cub-a-likes, etc. are licensed and flown. No one seems to know if the FAA will bless the RV-12 as a 51% customer built kit. By licensing it as an E-LSA, the 51% rule does not apply.

Again, since all the aircraft are supposed to be identical to the proof of concept, they should fly the same, thus the reduced time.

Does that help?

Back