What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 1 testing - dual pilot question

semperfubar

I'm New Here
We are close to finishing up an RV-8, Fernando (airbuspilot), who already owns a RV-8 will be doing the maiden flight and approximately the next 5 hours of test flying. I have rather enjoyed helping Fernando and the owner in finishing up the plane over the last few months and it has really opened my eyes to all the possibilities. I had never even considered building a plane before!!!

Getting to the point, the owner would like me (1000hrs and about 100+ taildragger) to do the rest of the phase one testing ( finishing at total of 40hrs). I am familiar with the "Required crew" requirement, however I am thinking on turning down flying the RV-8 for the owner (also friend) since he seems to want to just pop in the back seat at hour 5 and fly along with me.

As much as the plane has been beautifully built and with lots of dedication and care, and I would not anticipate any sort of problems with the design, this situation makes me uncomfortable. I would prefer the owner to come along maybe for later flights (even after hour 10-15) and/or CG related flights.

My question is, am I exaggerating the risk with the Vans line of aircraft? I realise that it probably is the worlds most popular kitplane, but I still think a healthy attitude and some level of care during this test phase is necessary. Whatcha think?

I think you answered the question yourself saying you were uncomfortable.

And you better have your Nomex on and secured with your stating you foresee a second required crew member during the test period. Personally, I see this as your call as the regs say PIC determines required crew. Just be prepared for the onslaught.

There is no justifiable reason for a second person to be aboard a flying RV type aircraft during phase I.

Phase I is for testing of the aircraft period.

I have heard of situations where a FSDO inspector said it was OK, however, a FSDO inspector does not have the authority to override the regs.

Last edited:
It is a good idea to review with the builder section 15-10 of the construction manual, "Carrying Passengers During Phase I Testing".

Guys, perhaps the regs regarding flight test in Chile are different than here in the US.

Guys, perhaps the regs regarding flight test in Chile are different than here in the US.

Sorry, there was nothing in the original post saying that it was in Chili.
I don't regularly check the location of the poster unless I see a reason.

In the UK, an "observer" is permitted even encouraged for the Test Period apart from the 1st flight. However, passengers are not permitted, nor may instruction be given. The (slight) extra risk is required to be understood / explained.

I personally find it useful to have along the builder/owner, especially given the complex EFIS systems, and also to point out in a realistic scenario where some of their "bright ideas" might not quite be so :D In addition, the details of some of the Test Schedules require extensive note taking, better done 2 up.

That said, we have the build RVs pretty much to the Vans plans, and the Test Period as a result is just minimum 5hrs / 15 landings inc the applicable Test Schedule(s).

I won't attempt to address the question as to whether passengers are allowed during the flight test phase in Chile or not, as I'm not familiar with the Chilean regulations.

If I was the test pilot, I would not want anyone else in the aircraft until the aircraft had enough hours on it that I was reasonably comfortable that the engine, fuel system, etc were working properly. I would also want to have flown the aircraft long enough myself to have become comfortable with it before I added the potential distraction of a passenger.

Keep in mind that with an RV-8, there is a significant CG change when you have a passenger in back, and this affects the handling. Check out the aft CG handling using ballast before you fly with a passenger. It is recommended to move the CG aft in steps over several flights, rather than doing the whole thing in one big step on one flight.

The owner must understand that the guy in front is Pilot in Command (PIC), that that the flight will be solo unless the PIC is 100% ready to fly with a passenger. If the owner will attempt to pressure the PIC to do what he wants, then I would not fly with the owner in back.

Keep in mind that with an RV-8, there is a significant CG change when you have a passenger in back, and this affects the handling. Check out the aft CG handling using ballast before you fly with a passenger. It is recommended to move the CG aft in steps over several flights, rather than doing the whole thing in one big step on one flight.

My thoughts exactly... regardless what the rules are in Chile.

And no I don't think the O.P is being overly cautious at all.

Back