What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 1 documentation

RNB

Patron
Some of Vic's videos talk about documentation of phase one flight testing being completed. What should I be looking for on this in logs or other paperwork with regards to legality. Prebuy inspection in a few days.

I think I have all the logs for airframe and engine and don't see anything written.

So per the OpLims at the minimum there should be a log entry attesting to the fact Phase I was done and completed. If they opted to do the alternative tasked-based Phase I per AC 90-89C,
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...fm/go/document.information/documentID/1041650 , then there should also be an Aircraft Operating Handbook and a record of the data used to create it. Ideally the builder would have all of that regardless of how they conducted the Phase I.

So per the OpLims at the minimum there should be a log entry attesting to the fact Phase I was done and completed. If they opted to do the alternative tasked-based Phase I per AC 90-89C,
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...fm/go/document.information/documentID/1041650 , then there should also be an Aircraft Operating Handbook and a record of the data used to create it. Ideally the builder would have all of that regardless of how they conducted the Phase I.

Where would that log entry be? Build log? Airframe?
What if there is not such an entry?

I logged each of my phase 1 test flights in the aircraft log. After phase 1 , I only logged the maintenance

I realize that but I like to keep my phase 1 documentation all in one place. Many people never tested anything other than fly their 40 hours

I realize that but I like to keep my phase 1 documentation all in one place. Many people never tested anything other than fly their 40 hours
We’re just making sure the OP understands what’s the minimum legally required entries he should be looking for during his prebuy records review.

Where would that log entry be? Build log? Airframe?
What if there is not such an entry?
The entry must be in the aircraft maintenance records, typically in the airframe logbook. If there is no entry, then the aircraft is legally still in Phase I and limited to Phase I restrictions.

OK, I am confused. There should be an operating handbook, and if there is one it means they did Phase 1 regardless of documentation?

Please clarify.
One does not need to have phase 1 testing logged? It is not required?
Dont get frustrated - its actually pretty simple. Regardless of whether Phase 1 was completed by “time” or “testing”, there needs to be an entry in the aircraft records (usually the airframe log) that says that the airplane has been tested and found to have no bad fight characteristics throughout the normal range of flight speeds and loading (exact wording to be found in that aircraft’s Ops Lims). IF the Phase 1 was completed using a test program rather than hours, there should be records of the test flights - generally a test report, or at least a completed flight card - somewhere in teh aircrfat records. They shoudl then be summarized in an “Operatign Handbook” of some kind, but the form and content of that manual is not prescribed, so each builder can decide for themselves what is adequate.

Personally, when I do a Task-Based Phase 1, I have a file of all the test cards, with notes or spreadsheets (and/or graphs) reducing the data from each flight, and then I write a Flight Test Report that details the results of the overall program (my last one was about twenty pages for our electric motor glider) . I then take an existing manual for the aircraft (stolen front eh internet or provided by the kit company) and edit it with the specific data from the specific aircraft that I was testing.

And….no one ever looks at any of that again unless I sell the airplane (I don’t know that for sure - I have yet to sell one of the airplanes I have built…..😉)!

Reactions: RNB
OK, I am confused. There should be an operating handbook, and if there is one it means they did Phase 1 regardless of documentation?
The logbook entry is what matters. The presence or absence of an AOH not indicative or whether the Phase I was completed or not. However if they went the task based route per the AC, its absence would be a red flag.

Please clarify.
One does not need to have phase 1 testing logged? It is not required?
if you read the plane’s OPLIMs what has to be logged in the aircraft records is the completion of Phase 1, but not the actual Phase 1 flights or the results themselves.

Dont get frustrated - its actually pretty simple. Regardless of whether Phase 1 was completed by “time” or “testing”, there needs to be an entry in the aircraft records (usually the airframe log) that says that the airplane has been tested and found to have no bad fight characteristics throughout the normal range of flight speeds and loading (exact wording to be found in that aircraft’s Ops Lims). IF the Phase 1 was completed using a test program rather than hours, there should be records of the test flights - generally a test report, or at least a completed flight card - somewhere in teh aircrfat records. They shoudl then be summarized in an “Operatign Handbook” of some kind, but the form and content of that manual is not prescribed, so each builder can decide for themselves what is adequate.

Personally, when I do a Task-Based Phase 1, I have a file of all the test cards, with notes or spreadsheets (and/or graphs) reducing the data from each flight, and then I write a Flight Test Report that details the results of the overall program (my last one was about twenty pages for our electric motor glider) . I then take an existing manual for the aircraft (stolen front eh internet or provided by the kit company) and edit it with the specific data from the specific aircraft that I was testing.

And….no one ever looks at any of that again unless I sell the airplane (I don’t know that for sure - I have yet to sell one of the airplanes I have built…..😉)!
I'm only looking because of a video on utube. Normally I joke about random internet advice, but it was from the guy that wrote the books.

If it is not obvious, I can also be a nervous Nelly anxious buyer flyer. I made my C172 my forever plane with lots of money, most of it not needed. Now trying to make sure I buy a 10 that does not need lots of time, money, or effort.

There is no regulatory requirement that an operating handbook be produced based on the results of phase one flight testing (even though it is a good idea).

I'm only looking because of a video on utube. Normally I joke about random internet advice, but it was from the guy that wrote the books.

If it is not obvious, I can also be a nervous Nelly anxious buyer flyer. I made my C172 my forever plane with lots of money, most of it not needed. Now trying to make sure I buy a 10 that does not need lots of time, money, or effort.
Let's see if we can distill this down to basic requirements so you will know what you need to look for during the pre-purchase. I hope the pre-purchase inspection will be performed by someone informed about experimental airworthiness, someone who has no or little experimental background could really lead you down some (expensive) rabbit trails.

Phase 1 testing can be accomplished in two ways:

1) Time based. This is the traditional method and probably the one used for the 10 you are considering. This is a 40 hour test phase unless the engine and prop are certificated and then it can be accomplished in 25 hours. There is no requirement to log individual flights. The only log entry required is the one at completion of Phase 1 which states the aircraft has successfully completed testing and is safe to operate. The exact wording for this entry will be in the Operating Limitations.
2) Task based. This is a new method that requires testing per a prescribed system of test flight cards. The flying regime requires precision and most likely beyond the skill level of many pilots if strictly followed. But it is a very thorough test program and involves documentation of each test card flight. After completion of the program the aircraft can be released from Phase 1 regardless of how many hours were involved.

Don't be surprised if there is no POH for the aircraft, it is not required for aircraft with an experimental airworthiness certificate.

Summary; Look for a log book entry stating the RV-10 has successfully completed Phase 1. There are fields in the Operating Limitations that should be filled in for various V-speeds that were determined during Phase 1 regardless of which test method was used.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Some of Vic's videos talk about documentation of phase one flight testing being completed. What should I be looking for on this in logs or other paperwork with regards to legality. Prebuy inspection in a few days.

I think I have all the logs for airframe and engine and don't see anything written.
To simplify things, there are four pieces of documentation you need in the plane to be legal; Airworthiness Certificate, Registration, W&B and Operation Limitations.
The Operation Limitations define the criteria for Phase 1 testing. Once completed, there should be an entry in the airframe log stating it has been completed. The proper wording is even given in the OP Lims.
Depending on the age of the plane, you may have the older version of OP Lims (separated from the Airworthiness Cert) but they both have spaces for you to insert specific airspeed test information.
If you plan on doing acro, the maneuvers you plan to do should be documented as tested during phase 1 to be legal.

On a side note: I wouldn't recommend it, but technically, you are not even required to have log books for either the airframe or engine. You are required to have current entries of some kind that show an annual Condition Inspection was done, and all AD's complied with, and is current for the aircraft. It could be on a loose leaf piece of paper for that matter. A lot of older aircraft have lost most of their log books. I have had to create logs for a couple of airplanes in the past, requiring all the ADs (or SBs in the case of a SLSA) be redone, etc. It can be a job.

Back