What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 1 Complete

jsharkey

Well Known Member
I flew the last 50 minutes this evening to complete the 40 hour phase 1 test period on my RV-6.

It flies great - straight and true - and apart from needing leg fairings, wheel pants and paint I logged and fixed the following problems.

* Leaky fuel drain due to tiny chip of building FOD getting stuck in the "O" ring.

* Soft brakes fixed by bleeding with an ATS pressure tank. This was followed by binding brakes :rolleyes: fixed by the installation of return springs on the master cylinders.

* 6kt to 7kt high reading error on the ASI/D100 traced to leaks in cheapo fittings on the back of the instruments and fixed by replacing them with decent Stein supplied fittings.

Empty weight in the current configuration is 1021 lb with a 1650 lb gross.

At 1360 lb and 72.56" cg Vso = 46 kt, Vx = 90 kt and Vy = 100 kt. I'm happy that the Vso and Vy are close - Vx is harder to extract from the data and might be the subject of more test flying :)

One slightly annoying characteristic that I haven't tracked down the cause for yet is the need for lots of right aileron trim when I slow to pattern speed and deploy the flaps. At cruise it flies feet and hands off with neutral elevator and aileron trim - and no rudder tab.

Now I'm looking forward to going places.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

Last edited:
Good going!

It must be a great feeling, Jim.
......some day for me..........

About the aileron trim...
Are the flaps deploying evenly? ie; could one be slightly out of line with the other?

Just a thought.

Best to ya' and good flying.

My I have your attention please?

I feel that I must point out a common misconception that Phase I is completed at 40 hours. This is NOT true. Phase I flight testing is completed only when you have completed your flight test program. 40 hours is simply a minimum time for accomplishing this.

Last edited:
I feel that I must point out a common misconception that Phase I is completed at 40 hours. This is NOT true. Phase I test is completed only when you have completed your flight test program. 40 hours is simply a minimum time for accomplishing this.

OK - 40 hours minimum or until testing is finished - which ever is the longer :)

OK - 40 hours minimum or until testing is finished - which ever is the longer :)

I think Mel's point was that you need a minimum of 40 hours and then must make a log book entry which then moves you into phase II. You already mentioned that all of your phase I testing was done without wheel pants or gear leg fairings. That means that adding them later would technically be a modification that would technically require some additional phase I testing.

I think Mel's point was that you need a minimum of 40 hours and then must make a log book entry which then moves you into phase II. You already mentioned that all of your phase I testing was done without wheel pants or gear leg fairings. That means that adding them later would technically be a modification that would technically require some additional phase I testing.

Thanks - And for all of you who haven't reached that stage it is all clearly laid out in the Operating Limitations attached to the Special Airworthiness certificate when issued. It was also discussed in great detail with the inspector from the local FSDO at the time of the inspection.

Major changes would require filing a revised 8130-6 and reversion to Phase 1 type restrictions on the test area location and carrying of passengers for a minimum of 5 hours - or more if required by the FSDO for more significant changes.

Interestingly the two examples they give of a major change are going from a FP to CS propellor or switching from a "reciprocating to turbine" engine.

At the time of my inspection I asked if installing the gear leg fairings and wheel pants constituted a major change requiring reapplication of Phase 1 type restrictions and was emphatically told no.

Of course I plan to re-weigh and re-test for critical speeds and handling characteristics when I do eventually fit the leg fairings and wheel pants and finish painting the aircraft. And make appropriate updates and declarations in the aircraft log.

My Phase 1 restrictions also prohibited night and IFR flying but they explicitly state that provided the aircraft is legally equipped for night or IFR flying there is no restriction on either after Phase 1. So by definition expanding operations into either of these regimes is a Phase 2 activity.

Major changes would require filing a revised 8130-6 and reversion to Phase 1 type restrictions on the test area location and carrying of passengers for a minimum of 5 hours - or more if required by the FSDO for more significant changes.

Interestingly the two examples they give of a major change are going from a F/P to CS propeller or switching from a "reciprocating to turbine" engine.
If you will read again, I think you will find that ANY major change requires going back into phase I, but a major change involving the change of engine type or propeller type requires a new 8130-6.
You are correct in that landing gear and/or wheel fairings would not constitute a major change.

If you will read again, I think you will find that ANY major change requires going back into phase I, but a major change involving the change of engine type or propeller type requires a new 8130-6.
You are correct in that landing gear and/or wheel fairings would not constitute a major change.

As always it depends on who in the FAA you talk to (what their local interpretation is).
In my area, they refer to the definition in the FAR's (can't remember the # right now) that are primarily pertinent to type certificated aircraft as a guide since we have nothing that directly defines a major change for experimental.
It defines a major change as any change that could effect the reliability, performance, or handling characteristics of an aircraft. I agree that none of these would likely be affected very significantly by installing fairings but they can to some degree.
Take reliability for instance.
Suppose an RV builder installs his newly painted (but never installed) wheel fairings. He asks his friend along on a test flight to try them out. On landing he hits a bit hard (off his game today) and the fairing that was trimmed a bit too tight to the tire, causes a skid off the runway, airplane flips over and friend gets hurt.
Around here no one would be saying go test the fairings for 40 hours (probably a log entry showing an hour with a few landings would be good enough) but they want evidence of testing having been done for any configuration before carrying passengers, if the change could effect one of the three things mentioned above. Doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

As always...rules may vary in your specific area or depending on who at your FSDO you talk too.

OK I was being conservative there - not all major changes require re-filing an 8130-6 but as I did said they do require a reversion to Phase 1 restrictions.

Paraphrasing - 21.93 says that a change is a Minor if it doesn't appreciably affect, weight, balance, strength, operational characteristics etc. Everything else is a Major.
91.319(b) says that after a Major change you have to demonstrate through Phase 1 testing that the aircraft is still safe for operation after the change.

Scott and Mel - I think we are making the same point - and as I said I shall retest when I fit the wheel pants and fairings regardless of whether they are technically considered a minor change by my local FSDO - but I don't think that I shall take 5 hours to do it.

Last edited:
Regardless

of the details, Jim, I'm really impressed (would jealous be more accurate?)! Enjoy. Safely. :)

Back