What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Personal milestone.

Trevor778

Well Known Member
Well today was a bit of a milestone. 350 hours into the build and the wings are ready to come off of the stands. Finally done with fuel tanks, and staring at 2 wings that seem to have not changed in the last 2 months. Flaps and ailerons are done, just need to do the braces, brackets, and control tubes and it's on to the fuselage that has been begging to be opened.

Congratulations Trevor! Building the fuse was my favorite part of the build. The wings seemed to go on and on forever. After you finally finish one thing (flap, aileron, wing), there's parts for another sitting there waiting to be built! Eeek!

It felt amazing to start building up the firewall structure after working on the wings for so long. Have fun!

I agree with Andy, Trevor. Building the fuselage has been my favorite thing so far. I'm glad Vans has you do the wings first. There's a lot of repetition in that kit. Have fun with the fuselage!

Congrats! You are well on your way!
When I got my wings done that is when I felt 'in the zone' in terms of building. I could consistently repeat all the required metal working processes without much variability after that. It's a good milestone indeed!

Waiting on Wings

I agree with Bruce, because hindsight is really 20/20. I decided to build the fuselage before the wings, (I had good reasons at the time) and now I am building the wing kits right now. So, now I have a fuselage that is 3/4 of the way built and no dang wings to put on it. It's kind of hard to look at the fuselage every day and then look at how much I have left to do on the wings. Oh well, drill, debur, dimple, rivet, repeat.

Back