What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Permatex Ultrablack vs Versa Chem 270 ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
Does anyone know why Vera Chem 270 is not suitable for sealing baffles and making glass/RTV flexible structures ?

Ultrablack is $10 for 3.35oz. and wasteful. Versa Chem is about $16 per 10.3OZ CARTRIDGE which is far less wasteful than 3 small tubes you cant get all the stuff out .

Curious - why is Versa Chem not suitable? I’ve used the high temp Versa Chem (650*) firewall forward on the last three airplanes for baffle work and a few other things because it’s cheaper and more readily available where I live. Plus it comes in a few different colors. I like gray because I think it looks better. If I want firewall sealing/protection I use 3M fire barrier 2000+. For the baffles, the Versa Chem stays flexible through an acceptable temperature range, just like the Permatex product.

Thanks Scott

The remaining question I would have is adhesion. I also use it a lot for laminating into glass to make flexible ducts etc. The ultrablack bonds very well to aluminum ( 80 grit scuff of course). Any opinion on the 270 ? BTW, gray is a good color.

I am pretty sure it was Versa Chem 270 that I used to try and impregnate fiberglass to fabricate my form fitting air inlet seals. I found it at a local auto parts store and choose it because of its high temperature rating. I could not get it to penetrate/saturate the glass fibers. Made a big mess, threw it away and went with the standard Permatex RTV which worked just fine. I have no idea why it would not penetrate the fibers.

Back