What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Performance of Whirlwind 200RV

Tumper

Well Known Member
There were quit a few Whirlwind 200RV?s purchased in the group buy this spring. Can any of you flying with the prop give a report on the performance? I have seen the Larry Vetterman comparison but was looking for additional comments/numbers.

Thanks

I've got a Whirlwind 200RV and am very happy with it. It's the only prop that has been on the plane, so I can't give you any useful numbers.

Randy Lervold did a nice comparison a few years back. Here's a link: http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Prop.htm?c9a6c840. Keep in mind that the Harzell prop in this comparison is the old style, not the new blended airfoil blades that are supposed to perform better.

Guy

Like Guy, I have one on my -8 and have never flown my airplane, or another -8, with a different prop. But it is a great performing prop, smooth, the airplane climbs like a bat out of ****, and seems to have great cruise speed as well. I like it... My only worry is if, while working on the airplane, I drop a tool on it and damage the composite blade. Other than than, it is great. Rain has no effect on it, other than damaging the Whirlwind decals on each blade. Greg sent me a new and improved decal but I have not had time to stick it on yet.

Back