What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Per sub-kit completion times / percentages

tyconnell

Well Known Member
Question: Per sub-kit completion times / percentages

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before - please point me to a link if your searching "kung-fu" is better than mine.

So I've looked at Vans, and done a "naive" search of this forum, and I'm wondering about the percent of time per kit it takes to build a -9.

For a standard build kit, I'm guessing roughly 2000 or so hours for the whole thing - and this is a total wag based on Van's site. What I really want to know is per sub-kit the percentage of time spent "in sub-kit" (so to speak).

Example: I get the empennage kit, it takes me 100 hours to complete it. I used 5% of my 2000 hours here.

I have a specific goal of July 4, 2013 set in mind. I may finish it earlier, but that is my drop dead date. I want to have it flying by then, with nothing to finish except for _maybe_ a paint job. I'm trying to forecast what hours / week I'll spend, and when I need to set goals for sub-kits.

Also, what times do I need to allow for things outside the 4 sub-kits. I seem to recall something about having to fly it a certain amount before it's given the thumbs up by the FAA. What other things am I missing? Wiring?

I'm aware that these are only estimates; just need _something_ for planning purposes.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dont drive yourself crazy!

I found that setting a strict time frame was very frustrating. I felt great when I met it and terrible when it did not work out. When I finally told myself that this was supposed to be fun and it was going to take what it took, the building process became fun again.
Life will get in the way, and you dont want to feel the pressure of your hobby bearing down on you when it does.
I did not keep a builders log and have no idea what kind of time it took me to complete the sub assemblies. Others have kept great logs and I am sure can help with your question.
Have fun.

I fit the 2000 hours model...

I managed to hit the 2000 hours almost exactly when the DAR came to inspect my project and pronounce it to be an airplane!

I started in October 2002 and finished in early June 2005. You can see the whole story as you see fit, via my web site at www.n2prise.org with 150 pages of stuff about building to keep you "riveted" to your computer screen. I have an additional 95 pages of places I have been in my RV-9A in the two+ years it has been flying. Lots of photos and some videos with sound of Oshkosh 2006 arrival and departure.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN.
RV-9A - - N2PZ

JonJay said:
I found that setting a strict time frame was very frustrating. I felt great when I met it and terrible when it did not work out. When I finally told myself that this was supposed to be fun and it was going to take what it took, the building process became fun again.
Life will get in the way, and you dont want to feel the pressure of your hobby bearing down on you when it does.
I did not keep a builders log and have no idea what kind of time it took me to complete the sub assemblies. Others have kept great logs and I am sure can help with your question.
Have fun.

A good point, to be sure. And I'm not thinking of rigorously adhering to it, per se. I just execute much better with a plan and milestones in front of me vs. "winging" it (pun intended).

I promise, if I get frustrated, I'll go play some golf :)

Thanks for the comment though - it should be fun. And I'm really looking forward to getting the first kit.

n2prise said:
I managed to hit the 2000 hours almost exactly when the DAR came to inspect my project and pronounce it to be an airplane!

I started in October 2002 and finished in early June 2005. You can see the whole story as you see fit, via my web site at www.n2prise.org with 150 pages of stuff about building to keep you "riveted" to your computer screen. ..

Bookmarked, I'll check it out tonight. Thanks!

BTW, how far is East Ridge from Chattanooga?

It seems most people take 200 hours on the emp, 400 on the wings, 400+ on the fuse, and 600+ on the finish kit. (heavy on the plus signs)

Steve

Back