What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PC680 battery charger

carl nank

Well Known Member
I looked up the PC680 and did not find anything regarding type of battery charger for this battery.

Any help on that matter?

I'm going to use a Battery Tender Jr on mine

I'm going to use a Battery Tender Jr on mine. I use it on my riding mowers.

Battery Tender

I use a Battery Tender Plus. Works great. Schumacher also has some "smart" chargers at very reasonable prices. Check out the tech documents on the Battery Tender web site for info on what makes a "smart" charger, well, smart.

Most normal battery chargers will not fully charge a PC-680 battery. They just don't go high enough on the voltage. The Battery Tender models mentioned above do appear to be OK for the PC-680.

The same people that make the batteries also make a charger made for the Odyssee batteries.

I got battery and charger from Battery Mart. They have free shipping and a decent price and I ordered it one day and had it two days later.

The charger works great. There is a fan in it that runs anytime it is powered up even in trickle mode so that is not so great.

Last edited:
Which Odyssey charger do you have?

Most normal battery chargers will not fully charge a PC-680 battery. They just don't go high enough on the voltage.

The same people that make the batteries also make a charger made for the Odyssee batteries.

I got mine and my battery from Battery Mart. They have free shipping and a decent price and I ordered it one day and had it two days later.

The charger works great. There is a fan in it that runs anytime it is powered up even in trickle mode so that is not so great.

Which Odyssey charger do you have (6,12,25 amp)?

Do you have perment connections to the battery for charging in the airplane? If so any issues when charging?

Hey Paul,

I bought the 6 amp version and it is plenty fast. It comes with a charger pigtail that you can mount to the battery post and a matching connector on the charger cable.

The charger works great, I just wish the fan turned off after going into maintenance phase.

I also made provisions to charge thru my 12V lighter jack in the cockpit.

Last edited:
Dumb Charger Needed Sometimes

I have a Xenotronix mounted on my firewall, it is a special super-duper gel-cell [I mean AGM] smart charger. I have the power-plug cushion clamped to the motor mount near the oil door. Open the oil door, stick on an extension cord and you are charging. This is very nice convenient setup, but there is one major flaw:

If you leave the master on, and drain the battery completely, the smart charger will not charge the battery! It doesn't even recognize that you have a battery! I wish the charger had a switch to turn it into a "dumb charger" for just that instance.

I also would not recommend Xenotronix period. I had a problem where the charger was draining the battery (it is always connected) and it was a bit of a chore to get a Return Authorization; multiple phone calls, leaving voicemails, etc. In the end they fixed it, but they had a surly attitude and continued to insist that there was NO WAY the charger could have been draining the battery... Funny though how the discharge problems went away the instant I disconnected the battery charger... ;)

If someone finds a nice lightweight gel-cell firewall mountable smart charger with a dead battery/dumb charger switch, let me know.

Hans

Last edited:
I have a Xenotronix mounted on my firewall, it is a special super-duper gel-cell smart charger.

If someone finds a nice lightweight gel-cell firewall mountable smart charger with a dead battery/dumb charger switch, let me know.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but to the best of my knowledge the PC680 is not a gel cell.

What provisons did you make to use your lighter jack?

Hey Paul,

I bought the 6 amp version and it is plenty fast. It comes with a charger pigtail that you can mount to the battery post and a matching connector on the charger cable.

The charger works great, I just wish the fan turned off after going into maintenance phase.

I also made provisions to charge thru my 12V lighter jack in the cockpit.

Brian,

What provisions did you make to charge through your 12V lighter jack?

I installed a lighter jack (10 amp fused) connected to my "always on" fuse panel (connected directly to the battery). I don't think I need to make any modifications to the wiring I have in place already, do I?

Thanks,

I USE THE THREE AMP MODEL 206CC

CORRECTION: THE MODEL THAT I USE IS THE 1206CC

The Most Advanced Battery Charger EVER MADE! http://acichargers.com/

The First Technology Change in Chargers in Over 100 Years

State-of-the-art Micro-Processor Controlled 1, 3, and 7 Amp battery chargers and maintainers. Charge time is equivalent to conventional 2, 6, and 14 amp taper chargers yet they maintain, de-sulfate, and condition your battery While it’s not in use for extended battery life.

Perfect for Cars, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, RVs, Personal Water Craft, Trolling Motors, Boats, and Snow Blowers for charging and then maintaining the battery while in extended storage.

Our ACI 'SuperChargers' were originally developed for use on expensive medical equipment with sensitive tolerances and exacting requirements.

They are supplied as OEM battery charger/maintainers for several hi-tech manufactures.

SuperChargers are now available to knowledgeable enthusiasts wanting the best battery chargers that money can buy... anywhere! If you're looking for a battery tender or battery minder, check out the specs on our SuperCharger Battery Charger Maintainers.

It's simply amazing what we have done! And they only weigh 8, 11, and 18 ounces including cables. Get all the Information even an electrical engineer will appreciate below.

1, 3, and 7 AMP :"Constant Current” Battery Charger / Maintainers

ACI announces an entirely new family of Battery Charger/Maintainers specifically designed for the Automotive, Recreation, and Utility Vehicle markets. Boasting a longevity rating of over 30,000 power-on-hours (POH), the SupersCharger’s apply state of the art technology to revolutionize battery power maintenance.

Selected components commonly found in computers are utilized in these “Constant Current” chargers to reduce size and weight normally associated with familiar trickle type chargers. One such component is a sophisticated switching

Circuit, “Switchmode” that “chops up” 115 VAC input at a rate of 100,000 pulses per second, compared to the rate of 60 per second with trickle chargers.

Since less power is being manipulated at a faster rate, the conversion to 12VDC can be completed without the need for a large transformer. Larger transformers used in tapered and trickle chargers have the disadvantages of high heat generation, greater weight, and lower efficiency.

SuperChargers have an efficiency rate of 90%, compared to an average of only 50% for most tapered and trickle chargers.

By using “Switchmode” and "Constant Current" technology SuperCharger’s are much smaller in size, lighter in weight, more efficient, and Charge batteries much faster than tapered chargers.

Superchargers are ideal for storage, and overnight charging, Car, Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, Jet Ski, Marine, Trolling Motor, RV, Lawnmower, and Snow Blower 12 Volt batteries, no matter who manufactured the battery.

Features

• Constructed to protect its circuitry from reverse polarity, short circuit, A/C surge, over-voltage and over-current
• All models are CSA and UL approved
• Soft start and stop eliminates sudden current rush, protecting both the battery and other circuits in the vehicle
• Automatic cut-off and then true float. The battery can be left connected for weeks, months, or even years without harm, while maintaining a full charge.
• Simple, easy to understand LED. Red for charging, green for fully charged.
• Automatically adjusts voltage when temperature is over 75 degrees F.
• Life span rate of 30,000 plus power-on-hours.
• Will not generate excessive radiated or conducted emissions (EMI).

• Fully Automatic.
• Lightweight & Compact.
• Suitable for all 12 Volt Batteries including Gel Cell, Dry Cell, ODYSSEY and OPTIMA

Comes complete with Alligator Clips and Ring Terminals (7 amp also includes brackets for on board mounting)

Constant Current Chargers vs. Tapered Chargers

Tapered chargers use large transformers that generate heat and add weight to the charger.

In a Tapered charger, the current starts at a full rating and then slowly reduces as the battery is charging.

In a 12 volt 6 Amp tapered charger the current is 6 Amps at 12 volts, this reduces as the battery is being charged. Example: the tapered charger gives the battery 4 Amps at 13 volts, 2 Amps at 14 volts and then .01 Amps when the battery is fully charged.
A tapered charger gives an average of 3 Amps on a fully discharged battery.
If the battery is 50% discharged, the starting current will be 4 Amps and taper slowly to .01 Amps when the battery is fully charged. This gives an average of 2 Amps.

Constant Current Chargers

Constant current chargers give the same fixed amount of current from the beginning of the charge to the end when the battery is fully charged. A 3 Amp constant current charger will charge a fully discharged battery in the same amount of time as a 6 Amp taper charger.
If the battery is not fully discharged a constant current charger will still deliver the charge at 3 Amps, which will greatly decrease the time it takes to charge the battery.

Most Retail aftermarket chargers for 12volt batteries are 1.25 Amps. In this case the 3 Amp constant current charger will fully charge the battery 3 to 4 times faster than tapered and trickle chargers.

SUPERCHARGER is a solid-state battery charger designed to charge your 12-volt battery and maintain and hold it to a full charge. SUPERCHARGERS will keep your battery fully charged and can be plugged in for as long as you want. SUPERCHARGERS will never over charge your battery. Our solid-state technology means you can leave the charger plugged in 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS

1. Connect the SUPERCHARGER to the battery.

2. Connect the SUPERCHARGER to an AC outlet The GREEN LED will turn ORANGE.

3. When the LED is ORANGE your battery is charging.

4. When the LED turns GREEN your battery is fully charged. Remember, you can leave SUPERCHARGER on after your battery is fully charged.

http://acichargers.com/

LOOK HERE.............. http://www.batteriecom.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/248 ONLY $60.00

Last edited:
Brian,

What provisions did you make to charge through your 12V lighter jack?

I installed a lighter jack (10 amp fused) connected to my "always on" fuse panel (connected directly to the battery). I don't think I need to make any modifications to the wiring I have in place already, do I?

Thanks,

Nope, that is all I did, connect it to the battery buss...

how did you arrange to physically connect the charger to the cigarette lighter?

For my charger, I cut off the alligator clip for the + side, and connected it to the center lead of the male portion of the lighter. I left the alligator clip for the - side, and connect it to the landing gear tower bolt. Could also be done with changeable connectors for both alligator & the male fitting; as well as + & - leads both in the male fitting.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back