What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pattern & Approach Procedures & Speeds?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
Can any experienced O360-A1A, Sensenich 72/85 and tail wheel equiped RV6 fliers out there share what pattern and final approach procedures and speeds work for them. I'll be operating from a 2100' x 60' grass strip.

I know that I'll determine indicated approach speed during first flight stalls but I just wondered what others were using.

Jim Sharkey
Waiting on Inspection

Can any experienced O360-A1A, Sensenich 72/85 and tail wheel equiped RV6 fliers out there share what pattern and final approach procedures and speeds work for them. I'll be operating from a 2100' x 60' grass strip.

I know that I'll determine indicated approach speed during first flight stalls but I just wondered what others were using.

Jim Sharkey
Waiting on Inspection

As I'm C/S and a nosedragger. There will be differences, I suppose. But I fly the 90/80/70 kias like the Piper Archer. I want to be close to the runway at 60 kias, as the airspeed bleeds off real fast. At around 55 kias, I better not have any altitude above the runway, as the plane will just drop! I usually use 1/2 flaps.

I also use the steep approach method with power off and the perfect timing for the flare; or the approach with a bit of power method. IMO, using a bit of power works better with crosswinds, to make sure everything is stabilized. Most of the time, it's the power off scenario.

L.Adamson --- RV6A 0360 AIA

I've got a 2000 foot grass strip and a -7

add some flaps at 100 mph on downwind, hold 80 on base w/ full flaps, 70 mph on short final,

With two people onboard it will fly much diferently. The bottom will fall out very quickly at low speed.

carry a little more velocity to the flair

Back