What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passenger pickup -Grand Prairie or Dallas Exec

Rick_A

Well Known Member
My wife's going to be in Dallas for business tomorrow and I'm going to pick her up for the trip home. KGPM & KRBD are about equal distance for her to drive when she's done with work.

Any suggestions on which would be the preferred airport?

GPM

I used to be based at GPM for 4 1/2 years and would recommend it for passenger pick-up, smaller and more friendly and probably easier to find by road (just off I-20) - although I only drove to RBD once. If you are looking for cheap, self-serve, fuel then RBD would be better. 3 years ago GPM was truck only (and although it has a tower did not have a Class D). If you go to RBD make sure to call the (Class D) tower 'Executive Tower' - if you call them 'Red Bird Tower' they will not talk to you!!

Pete

GPM

I'm based there currently. Actually, GPM has a self serve pump now for fuel and is one of the cheapest in the area ($3.52 last I checked). Easy to get in and out.

I guess it'd depend on where you're coming from in town! The hard part would be the traffic. Distance does not equal time anywhere around downtown Dallas.

RBD is a good facility, crosswind runway, competition between FBOs. Easy to get to from I-35E or 67. I call them Redbird tower all the time, but they recognize my tail number, I guess.

GPM is a quiet place, haven't been to the SS pumps but will check them out. About 5 minutes of TX 360. Small but decent terminal building, free wi-fi, at least in the past. Report over the Joe Pool Lake dam (SE) or marina (S) on call-up. GPM didn't used to have radar in the tower cab - heck, they're doing good to have a radio and a phone! :)

They're both good airports. Learned to fly at GPM and I overfly RBD about every weekend and will stop for gas if it's cheap.

And just for grins, if you want to play turbine pilot, I think Jet Aviation at DAL (located next to the terminal parking garage) doesn't charge a ramp fee for picks up and drop offs, just off 31L...

TODR

I just looked at the map...
I can't believe the number of airports within a small distance !

Try flying in at night - and look at all the freeways (all lighted) parallel to the runways - better make sure you're lined up on the correct piece of concrete;)

Pete

Yep, a lot of airports in the area

I just looked at the map...
I can't believe the number of airports within a small distance !

Thanks for the feedback. I did the flight this afternoon into Grand Prairie. As I was approaching GPM, I realized that I was setting up to land at Arlington :eek: Luckily I caught my mistake while I still 3 miles out.

3 years ago GPM was truck only (and although it has a tower did not have a Class D).
Pete

I noticed that there was no Class D depicted on the VFR Terminal chart for both Grand Prairie and Arlington just the other day. I had never noticed that anywhere before. Is that common? Does that mean you do not need to communicate with the tower if you are <3000' AGL?

The airspace can get quite busy - you'd be well advised to call them both. The Class B starts at 3000'. Pete

Last edited:

I noticed that there was no Class D depicted on the VFR Terminal chart for both Grand Prairie and Arlington just the other day. I had never noticed that anywhere before. Is that common? Does that mean you do not need to communicate with the tower if you are <3000' AGL?

paraphrased
91.127 Operating in Class E
(c) Comm with Control Towers--may not operated unless in communications are maintained with aircraft and tower (radio failure--follow light procedures in VFR). Comm must be established prior to 4NM and 2500AGL.

In other words you still need to be in radio communication and requirements. Class D operations 91.129 are more restrictive than just establish radio comm, which is probably why they have not included those airports as Class D. Additionally, Class D will have specifically defined area (with cut-outs or extensions as needed).

<3000AGL

Between 2500AGL and 3000AGL, you are in Class B (3000MSL--11,000MSL). You still need to be talking to someone.

Back