What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passenger max weight placard?

SmoothAirCruiser

I'm New Here
Hi guys my new to me RV9 has a placard on the panel that says "Maximum passenger weight 110kg) or about 240 lb.
There is nothing in the POH or anywhere else I have looked. Does anyone have any thoughts on where this might have come from and why?

Obviously W&B and catergory limits apply, but you're essentially sitting on the main spar - that's about as strong as it gets!

Thanks!

You're in Australia right? If so, check out the local regulations, as each country has it's own rules.

There’s no regulation that would require that here - unless:
The builder has elected to not to provide a POH and satisfied whomever granted the CofA that all of the information to fly the plane safely - including W&B - is in the form of placards. Usually this is only found in single seaters. I’d be dubious you could make that work for any RV other than a 3.

If there is indeed a POH then it’s just unnecessary and sounds like someone just wanted to make sure they had some elbow room to themselves.

That said, in a 6/7/9a pax much bigger than 110kg is going to start getting uncomfortable for anything other than a short hop and probably limit baggage significantly - which I’m sure you’re all over.

Hi guys my new to me RV9 has a placard on the panel that says "Maximum passenger weight 110kg) or about 240 lb.
There is nothing in the POH or anywhere else I have looked. Does anyone have any thoughts on where this might have come from and why?

Obviously W&B and catergory limits apply, but you're essentially sitting on the main spar - that's about as strong as it gets!

Thanks!
Sounds like the previous owner had a friend they didn't want to take along. If that was the case I agree with ATC_RV80R hahaha.

Just speculating. But with full fuel, my routine basic gear in the back (15#) and me I have 235 # left for the right seat In my 9. It may just be a way to make sure that he remembered not to exceed CG.

Or…. It could be a ploy to get that 275 pounder to rethink his 240 answer he gave before you started the engine. 😂

Back