What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

parts prep before primer?

I like to be ready for assembly minus dimpling. I then scuff, clean, dimple, and prime. I wait to dimple because it makes scuff and cleaning easier. I've tested dimpling after priming and the Azko primer stayed on as long as it was fully cured.

scuff to at least 400 grit and clean agressively. For old dirty parts I like to clean with laquer thinner first to get the heavy grim off. Then use a maroon pad (about 350 grit) and scuff with a water detergent solution until water is break free. Dry well and clean with wax and grease remover. If you care about adhesion, you will do a quick scuff again between dry and W&G steps, then primer application within 2 hours of scuff.

Many ways to skin that cat, but you must have etching (either chemical or mechanical), unless using chemical convertors and adhesion pomotors like alodine and it MUST be clean of all oils. While chemical etching is fine, I am not a fan of putting acid in my paint and therefore do not use self-etch primrs, though I would be fine using a chemical etch that is rinsed off before paint application, but you need to be d@#$ sure you get all the acid out of the nooks and crannies.

Larry

Last edited:
PreKote

I've been using a surface pretreatment called PreKote. Spray with PreKote, scrub with a maroon scotch brite and rinse. Once the water sheets off without beading I know I have a clean part that is ready for primer. I'm using AKZO 2 part epoxy primer and it seems bulletproof once cured.

Back