What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parts Bags

330Jock

Well Known Member
Sponsor
OK, maybe a dumb question! I took delivery of my quickbuild kit last weekend, and am just finishing the job of inventory. Question, do the plans ever refer to bag #? Or should all hardware, bolts, nuts, etc. be seperated out in their own little bin and referenced by AN #, rivet size, platenut size, etc?
Thanks,
Bill

hardware

The blueprints call out specific hardware, not bag #s

what I did

Bill, I had the same question when I got my kit - and I started with just the empannage kit. What I did was put each of the seperate items into a seperate container and labeled it with the type of rivet or piece of hardware. Then I also put the bag number on the container - just to be sure! I got 2 of the container boxes from Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...19-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

I also got a Brother labeler and clear tape - black text. It has worked great and the boxes close tight so if they tip over, you will save your sanity. It is easy to take the individual tray out when you are using a particular size rivet.

Have fun!

The plans (7a's) don't refer to bag numbers. Part out the bags
and refer to their respective AN numbers. You will find for instance
AN3-4's in at least twenty bags. Enjoy your project!

easier with more tech

scan the hardware bag list that Van's sends you with the kit into a PDF document.

Use adobe acrobat (at kinkos if you have to) to do an OCR on it.

Once character recognition has been done, save it.

Now you have an inventory list you can search using your computer.

using the "find" function in adobe reader, you can type in the hardware you're looking for, and the bag numbers will pop right up.

If you keep the bag numbers in order you can then go right to the bags and pull the hardware you need.

Last, keep the paper copy and record number pulled from each bag to keep from having to look in bags depleted of the necessary hardware.

Last edited:
I emptied every bag, and put all like parts together in their own bins.

For the one of a kind parts, I put them together in bins of like function-----all the weird washers or all the weird plumbing fittings etc.

Worked well for me.

You'll go nuts if you try to keep parts separated by bag number. Do yourself a huge favor, and when you get each kit, inventory all the parts including the parts in the bags, and put all the hardware in bins arranged by part number. AN3-4A, AN3-5A, K1000-08, etc. For rivets, get some of those plastic containers with dividers and sort them all into the appropriate little sections (just don't ever drop the container :) ).

You only have to do it once for each kit, it doesn't take that long, and you'll save yourself untold hours of time digging for the correct fastener in some particular bag or other.v

ETA: concur with the idea of putting one-offs or oddball parts into bins marked like "Aileron attach H/W" and such. And order extras of those stupid little tiny "washers" (actually spacers) that are used with the rod end bearings (trust me...you'll drop one sometime and it'll disappear into your shop never to be found).

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply guys, I appreciate your help! WARNING: It won't be the last time I need it!!!:: D
Bill

Back