What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parts, accessories, add on order...

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I am maybe a little over halfway done with my empennage kit. I'm at the part where I'm starting the tail cone and I have my QB Fuselag and Wings on order and expect them in the next 4-5 months.

Will I have any issues if I complete the bulk of the structure work (attach fuselage for example) before deciding on where and how to place the antennas, air conditioning, rudder trim, lights, avionics ect? I plan to leave the top forward tailcone skin Cleco'd for access but wanted to make sure I'm not shutting myself out of different areas by doing the assembly this way. What about fiberglass work?

I guess the question is can you have a "rolling chassis" for lack of better terms before committing to everything else? In the next month or so I plan to go see RV10Man's plane(s) and then maybe I'll be able to wrap my head around some more the intricacies of the build.

I don't see any major issues with your approach. Most of those accessories can be implemented at any time. The only issue is climbing into the empennage depending on your physique. I have a couple antenna that are very hard to reach.

I did all the fiberglass work at the end of the build, so it is an option. However, I don't recommend following my example. My wife and I spent most of a summer getting all the fiberglass done. It wasn't an enjoyable experience. If I was to do it again, I would complete it incrementally during the build.

The good news is even with a completed airframe, generally nothing is impossible although the needle on the PITA gauge can get dangerously close to going off the scale. :D;) I've lost count of the number of times that I 've crawled back into the tailcone to work on this or that after it was attached to the fuse.

Having said that the one thing I'd recommend doing while you have easy, open access is to run conduit (with pull strings) and/or install grommets/bushings for wiring. If you also plan to install a VOR antenna on the bottom of the tailcone under the HS, I'd go ahead and install a doubler there too as that will be exceeding difficult once the tailcone is completed. Installing the antenna itself won't be an issue and can be done much later.

Bottom line is IMO you don't need to commit to anything yet.

Thanks for putting my concerns at ease. I'm trying to limit my multitasking, I find I mess up more when tying to do several things in conjunction with each other.

I have taken a completed and painted airframe and installed absolutely every wire and antenna at that point. I greatly discourage putting antennas in hard-to-reach places. If you can install them with everything closed up, the you can service or replace everything.

Conduits are critical with this plan, though. At least 2 3/4" on each side from the side panels to the tailcone is a good idea. 1" each would be better. A 3/4" conduit or larger in each wing with a split or cut at the aileron bellcrank point is also nice, though not required.

What others, especially Jesse, have said. If you think you might run wiring parallel to the skin, be aware that drilling holes through the bulkheads with the skins in place is a PITA. Not impossible, but worth thinking about laying conduit in places where wiring is likely to go. Ditto with any places covered by floor panels or in close quarters. If you prepare for wiring runs and then don't use them, no real harm is done, so go ahead and add those "maybe" runs.

Back