What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Partial flap speed in 9A

Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
So in the 9A, the white arc ends at 90mph. After flying the 6A this weekend, and using 110 as a half-flap speed (white arc at 100 mph), I was wondering what max speed people are using in the 9A for partial flaps.

Getting to 110 in the 6A was no problem, but I wonder if it'll be a problem getting to 90 in the 9A. (My first flight is coming up any day now :) Fixed pitch prop.

I asked Vans, and they declined to approve any speed besides 90mph.

9A, o-320-E3D, 150 hp, fixed pitch prop. 140 plus hours. We have the flap positioning system from Van's that has 3 settings, 10, 20, and 32 degrees. We go to 10 deg at 90 kts, keep retarding the throttle, and go to 20 and 32 after below 78 kts. Have had no problems as yet. You definitly have to plan your approaches to get properly slowed down.

90 mph

My 9A has a CS prop that acts as a good brake, but if you pull the power and pull the nose up, 90mph is no problem. Pattern entry becomes second nature after you do it for a while. It is challenging at first.

If you pull the power back (way back) and hold altitude the airplane will slow down just fine to 78 knots. My fixed pitch 9A seems to have no problems slowing down. If the power is back and you are level something has to give. Now, if you are used to high drag airplanes like Cessna's or whatever that also go slow enough that you are not far out of the white arc at cruise :) then there certainly are some adjustments to make. At any rate, power back, maintain altitude, it slows down fine. You will have problems with speed if you enter the pattern at 160 knots. Get down to pattern altitude and start slowing some (say 120-130 knots) a couple miles out and then it gets lots easier once in the pattern.

I fly final in the 60 knot range. Much slower and you really start dropping like a rock and much faster you float forever. If your idle is high you will also float forever. I had that problem at first, idle was way too high.

The only time I really wish the flap speed was faster is when say flying into Oshkosh and they want 90 knots. The power to go 90 knots is very low and it is really easy to speed up without paying much attention at that speed. Having flaps out would make that much easier.

Scott

44 hrs in FP 9A

I have been pretty conservative with the flaps, going to half (or close) at 90 mph and full at 80-85. Getting slowed down took some getting used to; now it is second nature. Landings start a little further back than in most span cans--get down to at least 100 by mid downwind. You will find it gets to be very easy and you won't even think about it. I will admit my first landing (Feb 27th) was long. Way long. But that's why they build 5000' runways, right?

Just get it slowed down, drop flaps and keep it slow. Having an engine that idles very slow helps. Mine will idle at 450, so I only pull all the way on final once the field is made. Flying by MAP is easier (for me anyway) than rpm. Have a great first flight!!

Bob Kelly

Hey Paul,

So they won't budge now off of 90mph eh? 100 for partial flaps was being used when I started out and I bet it wouldn't be to hard to find in an old RVator. However if they are backing off of this there may be some owners that experienced some damage to their planes. Instead of pushing this just come in a hundred or maybe two hundred feet low and reduce power and gradually climb back to pattern altitude. It'll slow down.

Best,

Back