What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Partain Transportation

NewGuy

To all of you who are using Partain Transportation:

You are making a good decision. Your kits will arrive in good condition.

However, don't expect Mr. Partain to return your calls or even to answer his phone very often. That is just not something he does nearly as much as he should.

My actual delivery date was more than a week later than I was lead to believe. My QB loaded on one of the trailers in the morning on Friday, the 3rd of August. It promptly sat in Van?s parking lot for a week and didn?t pull out until the morning of the 10th. When I called Tony to ask about the status, I got no response. When the driver finally called a week later to say he was on the way, it was then that I found out that my driver had taken a week of vacation. As far as I knew, my kit left Van?s on the 3rd. I didn?t know where it was or when it would arrive. Tony told me that Bob Paladini would be hauling my kit from the very beginning, but he didn?t give me his cell number. I had to wait until Mr. Paladini called me. I was in an information ?black hole? for over a week. Had I shipped a box of junk, not knowing where it was would make little difference. But shipping something as emotionally involved as an airplane kit is something that I want to know the status of on a regular basis. Tony should know how emotionally charged this is; he is an RV builder himself.

The reason that your kits will arrive in good shape is because of the owner/operator arrangement; the driver is responsible for any damage, so he is more careful than the typical hired hand driving company equipment.

Bottom line: Use Partain Transportation. He is cheaper than the commercial freight lines, you do not have to pay for crating, the likelihood of a damage free shipment is very high and the drivers are more careful than usual. Ask Mr. Partain to give you the number of the driver as soon as the driver is identified. That way, you don?t need to bother Tony and you will be better informed. I will use Mr. Partain in the future if he will accept me as a customer, but I will ask that I be allowed to contact the driver much earlier in the process.

Ken Korenek
Arlington, Texas

Last edited:
GREAT INFO!

I need my QB fuselage delivered within a two-day time span. I'll be sure to get the number of the driver and make sure they know my situation.

Thanks for the heads up!

Communication with Tony

I found emailing Tony was the best way to communicate as he would reply within a few hours. Never had a communication issue, driver called and was actually a day early. :eek:

Bottom line: Use Partain Transportation. He is cheaper than the commercial freight lines, you do not have to pay for crating, the likelihood of a damage free shipment is very high and the drivers are more careful than usual.

Ken thanks for the good words about our company.

Ken your shipment was in a large group of orders that happened to coincided with Oshkosh. In the experimental aircraft business around Oshkosh things come to a grinding halt every year. Sorry that you couldn't get all of the info that you needed, but this happens every year during this time.

Build well and fly safe.

Last edited:
As a point of reference: My wing kit was shipped a week ago last Thursday and arrived in Orlando last Friday, for a transit time across the country of a week and a day. The shipper was ABF. The kit is supposed to arrive at my house tomorrow, Tuesday - it was delayed since Tuesdays are the only day they have a truck with a lift gate in my area (Merritt Island). Total freight was just under $500, which inclides about $70 or $80 for home delivery. There was no extra charge for the lift gate truck and if I hadn't asked for it they might have been able to deliver last Friday.

I will post later on how good or bad ABF did. They do have good customer service out of the Orlando office. The lady there was great.

Me, too.

I'll second what Ken said. I had almost the exact responses and delivery situation. Pre-OSH & pre-NWEAA fly-in
I'm only 700miles away and toyed with the idea of going and getting it myself. I probably could have done it cheaper, but would have worried about packing it up nicely. Partain was cheaper by 25% over commerical hauler.
Would I use Partian transport? you bet! but I too would be more involved clarifying a delivery date.

Partain delivered my QB in perfect condition and was a breeze to unload, rolled right into my shop.

wing kit arrived

Though I am building a 9, as promised I am reporting on the arrival of my wing kit today. It was shipped AB Freight and it arrived in perfect condition. The driver was great and it all went off without a hitch and I have nothing but good things to say for ABF. You milage may vary and this is taking nothing against any other freight provider, but I am one happy camper today.

Partain

I had my QB fuse and wings delivered by Partain. Not only did it save me money, it was delivered in a timely manner, the driver adjusted (slightly) his schedule to help me, and he dropped the fuse at my house and then took the wings to my hangar at the airport. I did not have any communication issued with Tony or the driver, at any time in the process. To the NewGuy: I'm sorry to hear that you had an other than perfect experience with Partain Transportation. I can tell you from numerous posts on here about Partain, your experience was definitely the exception to the rule! To any other yet-to-be 'New Guys', I wouldn't trust my plane to anyone other than Partain.

Another satisfied customer

Tony/All,

I got my kit the week of OSH, although I wasn't there to receive it, the driver Seth did a good job and the kit arrived completely undamaged. As a comparison UPS punched a hole in an overnight crate containing a $70k+ panel from us. They had it less than 18 hours. Fortunately the only casualty was a manual. I'd recommend Tony to everyone.

Back