What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Part Question

Just came across two strips of aluminum 1/2" wide by 48" long and .020. In the inventory it says something about a "tip back" Does anyone remember offhand what these are used for? My original thought was the backing plates for the fiberglass riveting onto the tailcone.

I am searching the directions and can't seem to find what they are used for?

Thanks in advance
Steve

There are 3 pieces of aluminum strip to be used as backing plates for the rivets when attaching the cabin cover. two are straight and one is slightly curved. There are several pieces in the finishing kit that are for shims used the entire length of all of the piano hinges. I am not at a place where I can look in my book for the reference... sorry.

Bill....

Those three pieces all have part numbers though..this is just a piece of aluminum that is .5" thick and 48" long.....scratching my head. Van's really needs to publish searchable PDF files...it would make it much easier.

Send me an email and I will send you the word documents for the inventory of the kits! peyton.b(at)sbcglobal.net

Bill

there is a shim under the paino hing for the engine cowl, use the wrong one and the thickness is different and the cowl will not sit flush with the mating surface on the airframe

Thanks! :) That makes me feel better. I am going through all my parts in preparation to fly just making sure I didn't miss anything, and I came across these things. Seemed too thin to be anything too structural, but you never know. And I had already installed the strips for the fiberglass mating to the top of the tailcone.

I did quick turn fasteners on the cowl, which is why I didn't use these strips.......thanks for the help.

Steve

Back