What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Part numbers for fuel tank.

Gahannaflyer

I am helping a friend resolve a right side fuel tank that is leaking on his RV 9A. We have pulled the tank off and have found 3 or 4 rivets about midway on the aft-bottom of the tank that are leaking. I have reservations as to trying to repair this because other leaks might crop up if I start taking apart any pro sealed joints. Being in the middle complicates things. I am exploring just making a new tank. I don't like the idea in just putting an epoxy coating inside to band aid this.

Does anyone have a parts list for the right side fuel tank? I'll then get a price on the parts.

Or does anyone have another magical solution?

Thanks,
Steve

I am helping a friend resolve a right side fuel tank that is leaking on his RV 9A. We have pulled the tank off and have found 3 or 4 rivets about midway on the aft-bottom of the tank that are leaking. I have reservations as to trying to repair this because other leaks might crop up if I start taking apart any pro sealed joints. Being in the middle complicates things. I am exploring just making a new tank. I don't like the idea in just putting an epoxy coating inside to band aid this.

Does anyone have a parts list for the right side fuel tank? I'll then get a price on the parts.

Or does anyone have another magical solution?

Thanks,
Steve

open up the back baffle to make the repairs, then use these to closeup the opening,

Do not use epoxy of any kind to repair the tank. The tanks are sealed up with FlameMaster sealant. Get the repair kit from Van's along with the sealant. Get some experienced eyes on the repair project to help and coach you through it. Its a very simple repair at this point since the tank is already off the plane. Because you stated the use of epoxy, I believe you are unfamiliar with Van's Aircraft tank construction process.

open up the back baffle to make the repairs, then use these to closeup the opening,
Search this site for “tank repair”. There are LOTS of threads describing repair methods. The most reliable method uses these cover plates and tank sealant. You cut a circular hole to access the areas where there is leaks & apply sealant to the inside seams. Than apply sealant around the hole & pop rivet the repair cover plates on.
Some of these threads have detailed step by step processes described.

Please check my blog in my signature and search for "tank repair". I've done many leak repair jobs and it is pretty straightforward once you have the tank off.
No need to build a new tank, just use a 5" hole saw on the back baffle bays where you need to reseal, use PolyGone sealant remover to clean off any compromised or old sealant on the inside of the tank, then scuff/clean with scotchbrite and acetone before applying new ProSeal. Use Van's Tank Repair kits to cover the big holes in the back of the tank.
Watch the Van's YouTube video on tank construction and this will help you get a better idea on how to manage the sealing.

Do not use epoxy of any kind to repair the tank. The tanks are sealed up with FlameMaster sealant. Get the repair kit from Van's along with the sealant. Get some experienced eyes on the repair project to help and coach you through it. Its a very simple repair at this point since the tank is already off the plane. Because you stated the use of epoxy, I believe you are unfamiliar with Van's Aircraft tank construction process.

When I talk about epoxy, I’m talking about ProSeal. I have repaired 6 other tanks in the past. I was primarily looking for part numbers. Maybe I should have been a little more specific in what I was trying to accomplish. Please don’t assume that I don’t know what I am doing. I have personally built 3 RVs.

When I talk about epoxy, I’m talking about ProSeal. I have repaired 6 other tanks in the past. I was primarily looking for part numbers. Maybe I should have been a little more specific in what I was trying to accomplish. Please don’t assume that I don’t know what I am doing. I have personally built 3 RVs.
Well,,,,an experienced RV builder would never call ProSeal " epoxy, that is why I assumed you were not familiar with the process. Also, any builder who has built 3 RV's would be have no need to request "part numbers", they would know where to find them.

Back