What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Part number for Fuel Cap O-ring?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Looking to replace an O-ring that doesn't quite seal, and I get a mess on the top of the wing.

I have a tech sheet that says the O-ring is a "2-235 VITON-75"

On amazon, the closest I can find is M2x35 Viton O-Ring, 75A Durometer, Round, Black, Viton, 35 mm ID, 39 mm OD, 2 mm Width, for $13. Not knowing any better, that seems like a lot for an O-ring.

Amazon had a link to Mr O-Ring, but that web site found nothing.

Comments? Suggestions? Sources?

Thanks!

Don't forget the small O-ring around the stem. Lubricate both O-rings and properly adjust the cap.

Usher Fuel Caps:

Adjustment instructions and parts shown below. Instead of fuel lube/EZ Turn for lubrication many folks use Krytox GPL 205 grease with good results. Expensive, but the small 0.5 ounce tube will last a long time.

i-CZCx5NV-L.jpg

Parts are available from Van's:

Last edited:

The oring for the standard cap on the RV-8 is a dash 325. I got these from Mcmastercarr.
https://www.mcmaster.com/5267T362/
Steve
An alternative O-ring to use ...

This alternative flouroelastomer (viton) o-ring may have already been discussed for the Usher cap, but if so - I missed the memo, so ...

I have been using this ring on my new style Usher caps for more than two years now, and find it to be a much better (at least for me) "fit" for this application - where it's operation requires it to be elongated, while it is being compressed to facilitate sealing the cap to the filler neck.

The original o-ring spec'd by Usher is a 75A durometer hardness, which is at the middle of the Medium Hard range on the Durometer "A" scale, and is comparable to a tire tread - this is a fairly dense compound. The o-ring I chose to replace it with, has a 60A durometer hardness rating ("A" scale) , which is at the middle of the Medium Soft range and is comparable to a pencil eraser.

This extra softness has two benefits: It can be expanded more easily with less "break over" effort on the cap lever; and, since it compresses more easily, it can expand to form the seal with less mechanical input. Because it is softer, some additional "take up" may be required on the lever to give the feel you want. But, flying my Rocket (goes fast = lower pressure over top of the wing - think sucking the cap out) has proven a pretty good "test bed" for such an experiment - no issues so far ...

I got mine from McMaster-Carr (doesn't everybody) - P/N 1284N198 Chemical-Resistant Soft Viton Flouroelastomer O-rings, #325 with a Durometer 60A (Soft). They are colored White & are expensive - but they do work ...

YMMV - Just Sayin'

HFS
HR II S/N 002 - Flying now 22+ years

Last edited:
I got mine from McMaster-Carr (doesn't everybody) - P/N 1248N198 Chemical-Resistant Soft Viton Flouroelastomer O-rings, #325 with a Durometer 60A (Soft). They are colored White & are expensive - but they do work ...

I think you transposed a couple of digits. It looks like it's P/N 1284N198.

You are of course absolutely (since corrected) right - dyslexia & old age do not make for clear info transfer ...

Thank you for (kindly) pointing out my error, and allowing for correction.

HFS

Back