What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel won't fit in

Space Cadet

Well Known Member
Went to start putting the painted and customized panel into the airplane today, and it won't fit. The screws line up okay along the top, but the curved part on both sides is quite a bit off, the panel is too low or the curve is not enough and the nut-plates are too high. Seems like the shape of the upper forward section is now off. Another way to look at it is the center is not high enough up. Haven't put the windshield in yet, but was just about to. Guess I should wait now.

Lots of pressure pushing up on the panel helps but is not enough to get them to really line up. Already have the upper forward section riveted in, didn't have any issues with that, and I"m pretty sure I checked the fit off the airplane (was a long time ago). It's all quick-built too, so not my mistake that I can tell.

Not seeing any obvious fixes here except lots of rework. Anyone else have this problem???

Thanks,
Dwight

Where did you get your panel from? Is it the standard panel blank that comes with the kit, or an aftermarket from one of the panel builders?

My panel was CAD cut by Panel Builder with an additional inch or so added to the bottom. They also provided a backplate for the panel to attach to. The backplate is riveted to the curved turtledeck/cowl, and then the panel screws to the backplate.

Do you have pictures that you can post?

Sorry about this. It's got to be discouraging. (Not as discouraging as cracking a canopy though!)

Standard, sort of

Well, it's a custom made one, but it matches exactly the upper curve and holes (I checked), and the original Vans blank has the same issue (I checked). I could post some pictures, but don't think it would show it well. Yes, I'm thinking I'd have to do something like that, with an adapter plate.

Dwight

Mine took a lot of fiddling to make it work, I found that oversizing the screw holes help a lot.

Stick with it, you just need to fine tune things a bit it sounds like

No problems on my standard panel

Like Mike said the holes need to be enlarged some(which I did not do...yet:)). Mine still fit just a little on the tight side. Working on behind the panel stuff now and will fit it back in there later this weekend.

Dwight,
I had the same problem with a custom panel from Aerotronics. I had sent in the Vans blank which fit using #8 screws, and I got back something a little different with #6 screws, which did not fit.
In the end, I did some strategic shaving along the curves, drilled out the original nutplates, and installed LHA 4972 Floating Clipnuts from Spruce. I got it all to fit and it's behind me now.

John

Good ideas

Thanks for the comments. I'll check it again tonight, but I suspect the misalignment is too much for just hole enlargement. But it sounds like I have some reasonable options.

Dwight

Back