What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel to sub panel depth

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Per the plans the distance between instrument panel and sub panel is 9.5 in. The Aerosport carbon fiber panel adds another inch so now up to 10.5 in. The depth of both the GTN 650 and 750 is 11.25in. Anyone installed a GTN 6xx or 7xx in panel? If so, how did you make it fit? Modified the sub panel cutouts?
Thanks.
Johan

Many people have installed these instruments. You have to cut a hole in the sub-panel for them to fit through.

Like Jesse mentioned the Garmin devices are long and will stick out several inches beyond the subpanel.

Things to consider:

1. How long are your pigtails? (i.e. service loops) Ideally if you can pull the tray and put it in your lap is preferable than on your back reaching behind the subpanel.

2. Access to all the connectors and back of the tray. I didn't realize until flying how much I would have to get to these connectors and the back of the tray. I just had a failure of the GTN650 cooling fan and I'm dreading performing that replacement.

3. Support. You'll want to fabricate some type of support for the rear of these long devices to help reduce the strain on the panel mount.

Plans section 41 or 41Q has some guidelines about penetrating the subpanel for avionics. Here's what Aerotronics did for me:
Kitlog Entry with a couple views of the subpanel
FP21092012A0001T.jpg

Thank you

I was hesitant to cut the sub panel for fear of compromising structural integrity. I cut the sub panel to accommodate the Garmin today. Did you add doublers to the holes? (I spoke with Vans and they seem to think it is OK to cut larger holes).

Thanks.
Johan

I was hesitant to cut the sub panel for fear of compromising structural integrity. I cut the sub panel to accommodate the Garmin today. Did you add doublers to the holes? (I spoke with Vans and they seem to think it is OK to cut larger holes).

Thanks.
Johan

yes, add doublers. This is covered in the construction manual.

Back